+ Reply to Thread
    luuk

Yes | No

single vanos almost done

Eurodavid borrowed me his Vanos tools, here a status update:
    I did it in my driveway and wanted to do it before the winter. I forgot to get the e10 torxs sockets (I had regular ones, this was a e10 socket) fortunately, autozone was open and able to get a set.
    Beisan instructions were spot on, printed them all out and followed the directions. I got a 3/8 torque wrench from harborfreight for $12, i did have 1./2" SK and verified the settings for both by loosing up a lug nut and torqued them both to 35 foot/lb they were the same value, so calibration was good. I ordered my parts from autohausaz and the vanos front gasket did not fit, i reused the old one with rtv additional rtv sealing.

When i had almost everything done, i cracked the plastic valve cover, hairline crack at the front, i took the cover off and everything seems ok, them put it back on, started the car a little later, was running a little rough but idled better.
    Drove around and car seemed strronger, could be perception. Will post a picture of the crack later.

Concerned about the crack, but will watch it. total took me 6 hours, because i took my time and redid the cover.

Eurodavid

Yes | No

Sorry to hear about crack. No rush returning my

tools, like I said before, take all the time you need and be patient. I am not sure if a cracked valve cover can be fixed once it has developed any sort of crack (others on RF will know more about that).

It would be great if you could find a wrecked BMW (some of 3 series has our same engines as well) at a junkyard where the valve cover was still in good condition. Then you could get it for cheap, as opposed to shelling out the bucks for a new one. The only thing I'd be concerned with in driving the car now with a crack, is that the number of times that valve cover has to heat up to extreme temperatures (and then cool back down again when you are not driving), might cause that crack to suddenly develop into a catastrophic crack where it caused all sorts of problems before you could get the car to the side of the road and shut down.

As I said, maybe others on here know a trick to fixing a crack valve cover, maybe something like JB Weld could withstand the extreme temp variations? I honestly don't know.

Eurodavid

Registered Member
    Member No: 153102 cn90 is on a distinguished road cn90's Avatar

Yes | No

Please update

I have a Single Vanos too (1998 528i 5sp) with 110K miles.
    I am familiar w/ Beisan DIY.
    Just curious:
    1. Your current mileage
    2. Your symptoms before this Vanos job.
    3. How many hours for this single-vanos job?
    4. Please update if the car runs any better later.

The reason I hesitate doing this is:
    - I am busy with work and family, so time is tight!
    - My car runs smooth like butter, so I have little incentive to do this Vanos job but love to hear from you.
    - Also in most forums, people who have issues are usually people with Double Vanos. This is why I want to hear from Single-Vanos people.

Ed CT

Yes | No

I'd be interested in your results report...

Hey, luuk,

Please report back with the results of your VANOS seal R&R. Do you notice any differences in performance? Idling? Gas mileage? Rajaie says the seals need to break-in for a few hundred miles.

I did the single VANOS R&R on mine, and am very curious to see if you got anything to report. (I won't say my results yet, so as not to influence your evaluation)

Also, on that cracked VC, you can probably mash some high-temp epoxy or JB Weld into the cracked area just so there's no crankcase vacuum leaking, as this will may cause a rough idle & CEL.

1998 528i / 5

Registered Member
    Member No: 56726 lezonebay is an unknown quantity at this point lezonebay's Avatar

Yes | No

here is a valve cover on the cheap for you

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E36-M52-Engine-Valve-Cover-328i-323i-M3-528i-Z3-S52-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem335e5d6ddcQQitemZ22062 6513372QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

1997 BMW 840CiA
    1990 BMW Z1
    1999 BMW 528iT (Hauler mobile)
    2002 Astro Van AWD
    2003 Nissan 350Z Enthusiast Package
    1987 BMW 535i with 5spd manual (for sale)
    1992 BMW 735iL (needs head and interior)
    1977 BMW 320i (project racecar)
    2007 Mazda CX9 AWD (Wife mobile)
    1998 Yamaha Blaster+Breeze

1995 850CSI CD00177 (SOLD)

Registered Member
    Member No: 155408 mandjes is an unknown quantity at this point mandjes's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: here is a valve cover on the cheap for you

Thanks, i grabbed the cover. Car has 118000 miles, was running stronger in the morning, in the evening an engine light went on and did notice the familiar hesitation at 2500 rpm. Will read out the code tomorrow.

Total time was 6.5 hours, had to go to the store because i did not have the inverse torx e10. At the end it was more difficult due to darkness.
    If I would do it again, i guess 3.5 hours.

Registered Member
    Member No: 56726 lezonebay is an unknown quantity at this point lezonebay's Avatar

Yes | No

glad to help. it was a good deal.

your issues might be related to the crack. The crack causes vacuum leak which can do the same symptoms.

change the valve cover and it will be fixed. use a factory oem gasket, same/similar price then aftermarket and better quality.

1997 BMW 840CiA
    1990 BMW Z1
    2002 Astro Van AWD

Registered Member

Yes | No

glad to help. it was a good deal.

your issues might be related to the crack. The crack causes vacuum leak which can do the same symptoms.

change the valve cover and it will be fixed. use a factory oem gasket, same/similar price then aftermarket and better quality.

1997 BMW 840CiA
    1990 BMW Z1
    2002 Astro Van AWD

Registered Member

Yes | No

sorry I meant it to "luuk"

1997 BMW 840CiA
    1990 BMW Z1
    2002 Astro Van AWD

Glen

Yes | No

Replaced my single Vanos seals about 15000km ago,

the only noticeable difference for me was the rattle is had is now gone. I didn't notice any difference in performance, drivability, fuel consumption...It was fine before but I had to replace the valve cover gasket so I thought I would do the Vanos seals at the same time. It took a while for the rattle to disappear but it sounds good now.
    I should mention that my first attempt yielded a CEL-code=jammed vanos--solution redo the job-conclusion was out one tooth on when reinstalling the helical gear.

Registered Member
    Member No: 155408 mandjes is an unknown quantity at this point mandjes's Avatar

Yes | No

2nd try, success

I got the valve cover from ebay, thanks Laszlo, took my time to hand tighten the bolts before final torque, also a little plastic piece was broken of the old one, i retrieved it, and the new one fit's perfectly. Started car briefly, was running much better, cleared the codes. Will make sure that everything is ok end then return the vanos tools to Eurodavid.
    Glad it worked out, lesson here is take your time to evenly tighten the plastic valve cover. I reused my new gaskets from autohausaz, they fitted fine. The ones on the 13 year old cover were hard and brittle.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information