+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 21689 Gadjo.Dilo is an unknown quantity at this point Gadjo.Dilo's Avatar

Yes | No

Alignment spec 2002 525i Touring Sport Wagon??

Both rear wishbones 33326767831 and 33326767832 get replaced on my car. I assume that re-alignment of the rear wheels will be necessary after replacement.

Does anyone know the alignment specification of my car? Here in Europe, no-one knows such a car as a US spec 2002 525i Sport Wagon.

FYI: It's a MY 2002 525i Sport Wagon with VIN GD86729, it has auto-levelling rear suspension and -if I understood correctly- it has OEM lowered suspension.

Thanks for supplying the needed info.

Gadjo

Registered Member
    Member No: 4328 jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev's Avatar

Yes | No

Don't know alignment specs, however unless your (m

rear tires are showing very bad wear other than the normal inside edge wear I'd probably pass on an alignment if the shop doesn't know the specs.
    The wishbones (#10) are not touched during an alignment. Neither end is adjustable. The inside end of the wishbone is in fixed position by bolt #11 and the outside end is a ball socket that pivots when the wheel carrier (#1) moves up and down.

IIRC the only adjustment are on bolts 7, 8, 19, and 20, part 8 and 19. These are the eccentric parts that provide the ability to do the adjusting.
    How's your lower ball joints, #2?
    Here's the link to the parts you referenced.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...24&hg=33&fg=30

Registered Member
    Member No: 56726 lezonebay is an unknown quantity at this point lezonebay's Avatar

Yes | No

same as euro e39 wagon with sport package

i think its called lowered sport suspension upgrade...

find a new shop if you must, but alignment is not necessary after those arms. its good to have it done every 4-5 years but if you do it, do all 4 wheels. They can check for damaged front strut or any trouble, but can only set toe in/out on the front.

1997 BMW 840CiA
    1990 BMW Z1
    1999 BMW 528iT (Hauler mobile)
    2002 Astro Van AWD
    2003 Nissan 350Z Enthusiast Package
    1987 BMW 535i with 5spd manual (for sale)
    1992 BMW 735iL (needs head and interior)
    1977 BMW 320i (project racecar)
    2007 Mazda CX9 AWD (Wife mobile)
    1998 Yamaha Blaster+Breeze

1995 850CSI CD00177 (SOLD)

Registered Member
    Member No: 21689 Gadjo.Dilo is an unknown quantity at this point Gadjo.Dilo's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Don't know alignment specs, however unless your (m

Hi Jim,

thanks for your feedback.

tire wear is normal and even; my tires (235/45/17 Conti ExtremeContact) have almost 30,000mls on them and there's only moderate wear on all four of them. I had my mechanic check the lower ball joints as well but these are (seem to be) still fine.

Our Edjack already sent me the alignment specs and they seem to be equal to the European version of my car acc. our fellow Laszlo. So that data problem has been solved when my car is due for future replacement of other suspension parts that do require a re-alignment.

I've finally been to find the OEM ZF/Lemförder brand for these rear wishbones through an unofficial ZF contact. I noticed that there are lots of online cheap knockoffs from unknown origin and location available for our E39 while the dealer want a hefty premium for the same Lemförder ones...

Gadjo
    2002 525iT
    68,000mls

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: same as euro e39 wagon with sport package

Thanks Lszlo,

I will tell the guys once I'm in the shop for a future visit. Edjack already sent me the US specs (albeit from 2001) so it will be interesting to compare.

Gadjo
    2002 525iT
    68,000mls

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information