+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Registered Member
    Member No: 25251 pm179 is an unknown quantity at this point pm179's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Metra location

Hi Nick,

Yep, that answers my question (not that I like the answer though ;-) ... I don't look forward to removing the seats, carpet, trim etc to get those cables to the rear of the vehicle.

I did not see any reference in his write-up (or anyone else's for that matter) that mentioned running RCA cables to the trunk. That is why I was confused when I couldn't find that radio box back there. I was going to remove the dsp amp today just to see what was behind it (hoping it was that connection)

Here is the last paragraph at Doug's link you gave me

***DSP Explained :
    The screen in the front of the car is simply a dumb terminal

---that passes commands to the 4 units in the back: radio receiver, navigation, cd changer, and amplifier---

In a DSP vehicle, the nav unit is connected to the radio (analog), the radio to the DSP amp (digital), and the CD to either the DSP amp (digital) or the radio (analog). The output from the radio unit is 2 channel (front) only and does not vary with volume. All modifications to the sound (volume, fader, treble, bass, DSP equalizer, etc) are controller by the amplifier which then provides 10-12 channels of amplification (depending on M-Audio or not)***

Doug wrote that all 4 boxes are in the trunk ...

Hoping that you've read this far I have one more area to ask about

In the quote above he says that all controls were handled by the dsp amp (volume, balance, fade, bass, treble etc ... )

What controls these functions once the stock dsp amp is disconnected and removed? Are all of those controls also present in the radio box once it is restored to analog?

Something else --- Did you have to re-energize ANYTHING in the three plugs, found at the stock amp, beside the new stereo equipment (meaning ... is there anything important beside speaker leads in those three plugs that don't function once they are removed from that stock amp box??)

I haven't seen anything that mentions a problem but those dang pinout diagrams and terms do confuse me somewhat

Thanks again for all your help,

Michael in MD

2003 540i 6-speed
    Sterling Gray / Black

Registered Member
    Member No: 7808 zerodfx is an unknown quantity at this point zerodfx's Avatar

Yes | No

Addt'l Answers

First, I found that I did not have to remove the front seat, but I did have to remove the rear seat in order to pass the 4 RCA plugs through and under the rear seat and under the door/carpet trim running along the driver's side of the car. Then I passed them up under the kick panel and across/under the steering wheel console; and it was a PITA getting them into/under the center console to access the Metra area. So I started in the rear where I anticipated connecting to the new amp and worked my way forward.

Once you have gone from two lines to FOUR lines coming out of the front radio box to the new amp, then everything is controlled properly at the radio box. That includes volume +/-, Balance (left/right), and Fader (frt/back).

In addition to the speaker leads, I recall there was I believe a WHITE wire that controlled the ON/OFF of the amp from the radio so you weren't sucking power from the battery when the car was off. I ran a separate power line from the battery to the new amp. but I think Doug covers that.

I still have a few documents with wiring colors/codes; if you'll send me a PM with your email, I'll scan those docs and send them to you.

Registered Member
    Member No: 25251 pm179 is an unknown quantity at this point pm179's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Addt'l Answers

Thanks so much ...

Unfortunately my stereo upgrade plans are on hold now ... I just discovered the car has summer performance tires on it, they're not the all seasons I was told they were.

NO way I can go through winter with summer tires (been there, done that with my M5) so I'll have to spend "sound" dollars on safety ;-)

I guess the stereo will have to wait until springtime

Thanks again to everyone who helped me out ... at least when I go to do it I will have the info to do it right

Best Regards,

Michael in MD

2003 540i 6-speed
    Sterling Gray / Black

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information