+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 25251 pm179 is an unknown quantity at this point pm179's Avatar

Yes | No

Upgrading Amps in my dsp 03 540

Hello Group,

I posted this request on the main e39 board but then remembered there is an audio group here too.

I would like to remove the factory amp/dsp and install a more powerful amp to run upgraded speakers in my front doors. I'd also like to add a new real sub in the trunk as well as some fill on the rear deck. I'll disconnect anything in the doors as those speakers are muddying up any possible front staging.

I have read all the articles and I think I generally understand our basic system, what I do not understand is the specific terms or language in those articles, ESPECIALLY the terms to describe some of the pinouts here

http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/DSPStereoarchive/DSPstereo.htm

I have done a few large aftermarket stereo upgrades in my vehicles but they all started with a new head unit. Trying to keep the factory display and use the radio and all controls in our cars is confusing me a bit.

I think I do understand most of the 26 pin plug (mostly speakers) but I'm not sure how to use or which pins to grab from the 15 & 18 pin plugs to make my aftermarket amps operate properly. Some of the descriptions seems like power / signal is coming into the unit, and others are outgoing signals even on the same plug

I specifically need help with finding and using the radio outputs to drive the amps. I probably only need the two front channels for my simple system, but I'd like to understand how / where to get the rear signals too if possible. I'd also like to keep all the radio controls on display unit and steering wheel (volume, search, balance, fade etc)

I have the dsp premium radio with single cd in dash

I do not have a changer, cell phone or NAV in the trunk (or anywhere else)

I do not see anything but one 2" x 8" x 12" black box in the trunk which I assume is the amp/dsp ... I do not see a separate radio control box

I would like to add Ipod interface too, but my main issue is to understand the pinouts and finding the source signals

Is there anyone here who understands the 3 plugs I see at the amp/dsp in the trunk and can you walk me through some of the things I'll need to learn to drive my new amps and control the system??

Thanks so much for your time and your help,

Michael in MD

2003 540i 6-speed
    Sterling Gray / Black

Registered Member
    Member No: 25251 pm179 is an unknown quantity at this point pm179's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Upgrading Amps in my dsp 03 540

I found the answers to my questions ...

Michael in MD
    CCA #442539

2003 540i 6-speed M-Sport
    Sterling Gray / Black
    Cold weather package
    Window shades

35% 3M Tint

ASA 17" AR1's Black w/ Machined lip
    Pirelli 210 Zero winter wheel & tire package

CDV Deleted
    All fluids replaced @ 37k

[Grinning from ear to ear]

Registered Member
    Member No: 145116 Solo1 is an unknown quantity at this point Solo1's Avatar

Yes | No
    So, what were the answers? Considering the same changes.

DAvid
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 184.91.124.169

Registered Member
    Member No: 145116 Solo1 is an unknown quantity at this point Solo1's Avatar

Yes | No
    After endlessly researching the alternatives of keeping factory hu and amp and adding sub, amp and front and rear upgrades, I decided to replace everything. Found factory bezel that looks good with storage below. Did a good amount of sound deadening. Kept steering wheel controls.

Very happy with result.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 97.103.215.251

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information