+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 6581 jtp is an unknown quantity at this point jtp's Avatar

Yes | No

Depressing day

Got the car all shined up, oil changed, etc. this afternoon. Tomorrow morning at 10:00 she goes into storage for the winter. Is it April yet?

JTP
    '00 Bright Red II, Black, Black 2.3

PERFORMANCE: Dinan Stage II suspension, Dinan strut tower brace, Porterfield R4S brake pads, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires, UNGO MS8300 alarm, Doug Whalen Seat Bushings, Sylvania Silverstar headlights and fog lights. MAINTENANCE: Peake Research R5/fcx-II and SRS Reset Tools, Mity-Vac oil evacuator w/ brake bleeder, BMW Battery Tender. COSMETICS: Dinan Badge, OEM chrome exhaust tips, Magnetic stone guards, Roundel valve stem caps, Trunk-mounted Dragon sticker, WI plates: RES IPSA. COMFORT: Premium Package, Heated sport seats, “Z3 Roadster” heated vest (for wife), In-dash CD, LeatherZ MarkII armrest, OEM mesh windscreen. CAR CARE: Porter Cable random orbit buffer, Meguiars car care products, NOAH car cover, Plexus, Raggtop. EXTRAS: Z3Solutions warning triangle.

My Home Page

Registered Member
    Member No: 146192 s-retire is an unknown quantity at this point s-retire's Avatar

Yes | No

I dropped the Green 1.9 DASC off in...

Spring Green last week. Buttoned it up for the winter and flew back to California. The weather was great last week.

Z3BigDaddy

Yes | No

Probably better, you don't want to be known

as the guy that runs up his mileage, going long all the time. Good that you show restraint and keep to the short runs and not embarrass the other Z3 people. I know, I know but it's better to be a smart [Oops!] than a dumb [Oops!].

Registered Member
    Member No: 146192 s-retire is an unknown quantity at this point s-retire's Avatar

Yes | No

Wise???

D.R.Smith

Yes | No

Re: Depressing day

I changed the oil,trans,and rear end fluids yesterday.Getting ready to Drive the Z all year long,Living in the south has its perks!

Registered Member
    Member No: 22034 RhoXS is an unknown quantity at this point RhoXS's Avatar

Yes | No

Why?

I live in south Florida and cannot imagine putting my Z3 away for storage. Why do so many people do this in the winter? Is it soley due to handling concerns on icy streets? If so, does it handle that bad or any worse than any other car without snow tires?
    2002 Topaz Blue 3.0 Roadster

ZGator

Yes | No

Salt

When they start salting, I stop driving.

Now that I have a hardtop, it will be tough to resist though,

Registered Member

Yes | No

Why? Wisconsin.

I drove the car for three Wisconsin winters with no major issues. Throw on snow tires and she actually drove really well. But all along, I knew the road salt was doing a major number on her. I just didn't have a choice at the time. You also have to worry about the other yahoos out there who DON'T have snow tires.

Then I got a boat and a Jeep Grand Cherokee to tow it. Once I got the Jeep, driving the car really didn't make sense anymore. Sure, it drove well with snows on, but it could never match the handling of a 4 wheel drive.

Couple that with the fact that I had an aftermarket suspension installed at the same time as I got the Jeep. That lowered the car about 3/4 of an inch, which means that I become a snow plow at about 3 inches of snow. And 3 inches of snow is a pretty common occurrence around here.

So I now put her in storage in mid-november and pull her out again in mid-april. Not fun, but she will last a lot longer this way.

JTP

PERFORMANCE: Dinan Stage II suspension, Dinan strut tower brace, Porterfield R4S brake pads, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires, UNGO MS8300 alarm, Doug Whalen Seat Bushings, Sylvania Silverstar headlights and fog lights. MAINTENANCE: Peake Research R5/fcx-II and SRS Reset Tools, Mity-Vac oil evacuator w/ brake bleeder, BMW Battery Tender. COSMETICS: Dinan Badge, OEM chrome exhaust tips, Magnetic stone guards, Roundel valve stem caps, Trunk-mounted Dragon sticker, WI plates: RES IPSA. COMFORT: Premium Package, Heated sport seats, “Z3 Roadster” heated vest (for wife), In-dash CD, LeatherZ MarkII armrest, OEM mesh windscreen. CAR CARE: Porter Cable random orbit buffer, Meguiars car care products, NOAH car cover, Plexus, Raggtop. EXTRAS: Z3Solutions warning triangle.

My Home Page

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Salt

The hardtop is relatively easy/cheap to replace compared to an eroded frame! :-)

JTP

My Home Page

Registered Member
    Member No: 183924 dorkdog is an unknown quantity at this point dorkdog's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Depressing day

The irony is that my Z3 is more accommodating for winter driving (heated searts, trac control, etc) than my Yaris is but yet it is the Yaris that rides during the winter months!

Registered Member
    Member No: 60858 Fudbutter is an unknown quantity at this point Fudbutter's Avatar

Yes | No

I Feel Your Pain

I too store the car away for the winter. I use the procedure that the folks in this forum set forth and it works quite well. When the car gets detatched from the trickle charger and comes out in the spring, it is like having a brand new car.

I intend to be the old guy wearing a funny hat and driving a 30 year old showroon perfect roadster a couple of decades from now. Keeping the car out of NY winters certainly helps.

The sad part is that the end of Z season marks the conclusion of six months of exploratory country drives, Mrs Fudbutter's wonderful picnics and mini vactions in the sun. The good part is knowing that it will be months until the Mets aggrevate me again.

April will come soon enough

Fudbutter
    '01 2.5i

Fakt 1034: Life is like a cigarette, smoke it to the butt - H. Krumpet

Buffalo Mike

Yes | No

No Depressing days!!!

Get a hard top, put 70 pounds of cat litter in the trunk and at least good all season tires are a must. If you get 6 inches of snow on the roads... time to call in sick as traffic will be a mess any way. I live in Buffalo, NY and have been driving my Z summer and winter since new in 2001. Just under it changing the oil and still see no signs of rust on the body or underside, just some rust on the bolts. This car was made to be driven. Like a fine wine, its real value is only apparent when it is consumed.

Registered Member
    Member No: 149559 DLee is an unknown quantity at this point DLee's Avatar

Yes | No

Not for me!

Put the snow tires on yesterday, storm coming tomorrow, looking good. Got Blizzak's 3 years ago and the Z goes through snow like it's on rails. And, they don't use a lot of salt around here, but mostly sand and liquid ice melt.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: No Depressing days!!!

Mike, I drove her through 3 Wisconsin winters. She handled just fine. With snow tires, I could drive places that a lot of other people got stuck. I couldn't have been happier.

But you can't deny that road salt takes it toll on cars. She WILL last longer if I don't drive her in winter.

Couple that with the fact that my aftermarket suspension lowered the car, so that I become a snowplow in about 3 inches of snow, and it's just not practical to drive her in winter anymore. That doesn't even factor in the ice chunks that I struck a few times before deciding that I was taking unnecessary risk.

The Jeep Grand Cherokee isn't as much fun, that's for sure. But it certainly handles the deep stuff around here better. And no, we DON'T shut things down just because of 6 inches of snow! Why would you stop for a dusting like that!? :o)

JTP

My Home Page

Registered Member

Yes | No

It was Michelin Arctic Alpins for me

Drove her through 3 Wisconsin winters. But that was BEFORE I had her lowered, and BEFORE I had a Grand Cherokee to drive in the winter. I could still drive her, I suppose, but I'm a snowplow in 3 inches of snow now, and I see no reason to expose her to the road salt when I can sacrifice the Jeep instead.

JTP

My Home Page

vidterry

Yes | No

Re: Not for me!

My yearly ritual is to put the Blizzaks on the first sunny weekend after my birthday (mid-october) and to take them off and put the summer wheels / tires on in April, when the forecast seems to indicate winter is 'over'.

The summer GSD3s don't like cold temps or cold streets, so there is really no hurry to mount them if they stay hard and won't grip anyway. My most recent set has one more summer on them, I think, and then I'll have to find some good drippy replacement for them.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information