+ Reply to Thread
    piperguy

Yes | No

Strange water leak

OK, need ideas cause this one has me stumped. Car is a 2001 540i Touring. When it rains fairly hard (not just a passing shower) the right rear passenger seat floor gets wet.......... but on the INSIDE next to the tunnel. There is no water on the outboard side next to the door. There also is no sign of any moisture in the headliner anywhere. Anyone had this happen ?? And if so what was it cause I sure haven't figured it out yet.

Mark

Yes | No

I can tell you exactly what the problem is....

I had the same problem.... There is a rubber hose that the rain water drains into and funnels it down the A piller and out of the car. Well, that hose has come loose from its connection point and/or its clogged. Now you have water running down your A piller right into your foot well. The water will dammage your LCM (light control module) which is located in the right side foot well. It will also dammage the fuse box located beneath the carper under your passenger seat. I had to replace them both. Its a simple fix to reconnect the hose, using a hose clamp. But to get at it, you'll have to drop the headliner. I also replaced the sunroof gasket just to be sure.

Registered Member
    Member No: 84289 GHueser is an unknown quantity at this point GHueser's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Strange water leak

Bring your car in the garage, open the sunroof and poor some water into the side channels. This is a long shot, buit I suspect that one of the seems on the side of the "cartridge" (the stationary part of the sunroof affixed to your car) is leaking. You won't ever see leaks on the inside of the headliner....water beads off the inside like crazy...like it is covered in wax. You can also confirm whether or not any of the drain tubes are clogged.

piperguy

Yes | No

Re: I can tell you exactly what the problem is....

Probably worth checking, but you mentioned the footwell. My front floor is never wet, it's the rear seat floor on the passenger side and it gets wet over close to the driveshaft tunnel.

Also, never pulled the headliner, how much of a hassle is it and is it better to have the upholstery shop do it ?

Registered Member
    Member No: 172507 VinM is an unknown quantity at this point VinM's Avatar

Yes | No

Are you saying it's only wet under...

the passenger seat, or is the rear passenger footwell getting wet?

Also, is the wetness restricted only next to the driveshaft tunnel or is the floor wet near the door as well?

I'm thinking you might have a leaky vapor barrier in the rear passenger door.

Vin

2003 530i (Sport Package) Build Date: 02/03
    Titanium Gray over Black
    Shadowline Trim
    5-Speed Manual Transmission
    Zeckhausen Modified CDV
    Dinan Upgrades: High Flow Throttle Body, CAI, Stage 3 Software, and Free Flow Exhaust.

Horsepower: some is good, more is better, TOO MUCH is just right!
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." ~ Mario Andretti
    "Whatís behind you doesnít matter." ~ Enzo Ferrari

Registered Member
    Member No: 49642 beecee is an unknown quantity at this point beecee's Avatar

Yes | No

+1.....it's gotta be the door vapor barrier >>>

pull the door panel and check the barrier. I'll bet its come lose.

piperguy

Yes | No

Re: Are you saying it's only wet under...

Wet area is in rear passenger side footwell but only on the side next to driveshat tunnel (middle of car). Side by door is dry (I thought of a vapor barrier leak, our 530i has had that problem on a driver's rear door. But when that happened footwell was wet from sill inward). This one has me stumped. The front floor is dry, tunnel is dry, no eveidence of water from headliner directly above where the wetspot is ......

Registered Member
    Member No: 4328 jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev's Avatar

Yes | No

When you open that rear side door is there any (m)

hint of water or moisture on the door sill?

piperguy

Yes | No

Re: When you open that rear side door is there any (m)

Not that I recall, but if that is the sign of a vapor barrier failure I'll take notice next rainstorm.

Registered Member
    Member No: 172507 VinM is an unknown quantity at this point VinM's Avatar

Yes | No

Maybe water is getting into the trunk...

and making it's way into the cabin under the rear seat, I know it sounds like a long shot, but that could be why it's only wet on the inside rear footwell and not by the sill.

Check your trunk for water...especially the spare tire well, since that's where it will most likely accumulate if there's a leak.

Vin

2003 530i (Sport Package) Build Date: 02/03
    Titanium Gray over Black
    Shadowline Trim
    5-Speed Manual Transmission
    Zeckhausen Modified CDV
    Dinan Upgrades: High Flow Throttle Body, CAI, Stage 3 Software, and Free Flow Exhaust.

Horsepower: some is good, more is better, TOO MUCH is just right!
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." ~ Mario Andretti
    "Whatís behind you doesnít matter." ~ Enzo Ferrari

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information