+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 183924 dorkdog is an unknown quantity at this point dorkdog's Avatar

Yes | No

my only complaint about the Z3 design so far...

...is that the ATC light is too close to the steering wheel. I like to know when it comes on (as I learn to test the ;limits of the car) but I find that in a turn the steering wheel spokes block the ATC light! In a turn I cannot tell if the ATC is energizing or not.

I wish the indicator lamp had been placed out from behind the wheel.

Nit-pickin'?

Sure!

I do LOOOOOVE the car though!!!

Registered Member
    Member No: 100814 prdz3 is an unknown quantity at this point prdz3's Avatar

Yes | No

Be careful about testing the limits,

especially on a wet road. The rear end can act kinda squirrely.
    Phil '97 1.9 Montreal Blue

Registered Member
    Member No: 6581 jtp is an unknown quantity at this point jtp's Avatar

Yes | No

No worries. . .

Won't be long and you will be able to FEEL when it engages. It's pretty easy to sense once you know what to feel for.

JTP
    '00 Bright Red II, Black, Black 2.3

PERFORMANCE: Dinan Stage II suspension, Dinan strut tower brace, Porterfield R4S brake pads, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires, UNGO MS8300 alarm, Doug Whalen Seat Bushings, Sylvania Silverstar headlights and fog lights. MAINTENANCE: Peake Research R5/fcx-II and SRS Reset Tools, Mity-Vac oil evacuator w/ brake bleeder, BMW Battery Tender. COSMETICS: Dinan Badge, OEM chrome exhaust tips, Magnetic stone guards, Roundel valve stem caps, Trunk-mounted Dragon sticker, WI plates: RES IPSA. COMFORT: Premium Package, Heated sport seats, “Z3 Roadster” heated vest (for wife), In-dash CD, LeatherZ MarkII armrest, OEM mesh windscreen. CAR CARE: Porter Cable random orbit buffer, Meguiars car care products, NOAH car cover, Plexus, Raggtop. EXTRAS: Z3Solutions warning triangle.

My Home Page

Registered Member
    Member No: 22034 RhoXS is an unknown quantity at this point RhoXS's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: my only complaint about the Z3 design so far...

I think ATC is the forerunner of what became to be called DSC (Dynamic Stability Control). If so, I can tell you from experience the thing works and really works well.

I have a 2002 3.0i Roadster. I am the original owner so I thought I knew the limits of the car well but I was wrong. Last winter I was driving home with good rock and roll playing and the top down on a day of the type that gives the Florida Chamber of Commerece wet dreams. At about 80 mph I exited the Florida Turnpike on a nicely curved exit ramp. Since I was enjoying the drive and there was no traffic, I decided to take advantage of the curved ramp. Well, I erred big time and took a little too much advantage of the ramp. The DSC immediately sensed the immeninent loss of control and took over. It was frigging magic. It felt like the DSC was breaking individual wheels in very short hard bursts. The car did a lot of fairly aggressive jerking but each jerk seemed to put the car back in the direction I wanted to go. I have abosolutely no doubt that without the DSC saving my [Oops!] I would have slid off the side of the ramp and probably rolled down the relatively steep embankement.

I certainly recognize that I was very lucky in that my speed did not exceed that which the DSC was able to handle. In other words, the DSC is not able to violate Issac Newton's rules but it certainly works well within its design envolope.
    2002 Topaz Blue 3.0 Roadster

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information