+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 183765 rfields67 is an unknown quantity at this point rfields67's Avatar

Yes | No

Instrument Panel

Help, pulled the instrument panel in my 96 Z3 and found the electrical connection on the left side to not have the top lockdown broken. It was rigged with tape and now I can't rig it quite as well as the previous owner. I had to replace the odometer bulbs and they work great but now the fuel guage, tach and turn signals on the panel are both lit. Any hope of putting a new lockdown on the connection or any ideas of a fix besides electrical tape. Would like it to be right instead of rigged...

Barryng

Yes | No

Re: Instrument Panel

A nylon wire tie might do a much better job. They are available in various sizes at Home Depot or Lowes. PVC or rubber based electrical tape is definitively not a good fix because it is stretches with time and the adhesive will eventually fail due to heat.

The very small skinny ones might be best in terms of fit but the real small skinny ones do not lock as tight as the larger ones because the tab that prevents the tie from pulling in the reverse direction is so small. My suggestion is to use as large a tie as is reasonable. Also, if the tie is "threaded" through the wires at the back of each half of the connector, consider that the edges of the tie can chafe and eventually wear through the wires.

Registered Member
    Member No: 183765 rfields67 is an unknown quantity at this point rfields67's Avatar

Yes | No

Tried the nylon tie and it thought it was going to be the charm but can't get it tight enough...just my luck...any suggestions if clip on top of plug can be replaced...any ideas or will I have to replace the whole line..

Registered Member
    Member No: 137811 mikepatterson is an unknown quantity at this point mikepatterson's Avatar

Yes | No

By "can't get it tight enough" I'm guessing it's a little too short to lock properly? If so, try daisy chaining two of them together.

OTOH you might try a wrap of safety wire. Twisting the ends of the wire together will draw the connection tight, and the wire is thinner than a zip tie, making it less likely to chafe the electrical wire insulation.

Hope this helpsDconBlueZ
    Sharpsburg,GA USA

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information