+ Reply to Thread
    CGL

Yes | No

E39 Steering system Overhaul

Planning to change out all the steering components on my 2000 540ia with 132K miles. Autohaus is only listing center (drag) link, tie-rod ends, idler arm and bushing. What is the deal with the Pitman arm ? Is the Pitman arm part of the steering gear box ? Does the Piman arm need replacement ?

Thanks

User Level 8
    Member No: 21320 edjack will become famous soon enough edjack's Avatar

Yes | No

No. The pitman arm has no moving parts,. >>

and lives on the end of the steering box. Don't disturb it.

Examine the tie rod ends. Mine are still tight at 121k; yours may be, too. Ditto for the idler arm.

DO NOT buy the Meyle tie rod, what you call center (drag) link. Mine only lasted 20k, whereas the original TRW lasted 80k.
    Ed in San Jose. BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319). Golden Gate Chapter. '97 540i 6 speed. Build Date 3/97. Aspensilber over Aubergine leather.

Registered Member
    Member No: 92707 540sport is on a distinguished road 540sport's Avatar

Yes | No

The Pitman arm is solid, the balljoint is on....

centerlink or center tie rod. When I did the same on my 98 it was recommended and I replaced the rubber bushing on the draglink too.

Its #6 in this diagram.

When I did this it restored the tight steering and solved some of my front tire wear as the tires would go out of alignment in turns and under braking.
    Vin
    98 540 Sport with everything & extra hots
    BMW CCA, Boston Chapter
    "The 540 is the head-case supermodel girlfriend..." Eric S.
    "The worst thing you could do with your money is save it." ~ Jackie Gleason
    If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. Mario Andretti
    The United States is a nation of laws: poorly written and randomly enforced. - Frank Zappa

CGL

Yes | No

Re: No. The pitman arm has no moving parts,. >>

Thanks for the tips. Autohaus is listing the Center Link by TRW. However, the idler arm is by Febi and its bushing is made by Lemfoerder. Unfortunately, they are listing the tie-rod ends by Meyle so I guess I will look somewhere else for the TRW tie-rod ends. These parts are not that expensive individually (except the Center Link) so I just figure to change them all because I don't want to mess with them for another 100K miles.

CGL

Yes | No

Re: The Pitman arm is solid, the balljoint is on....

So you are saying the idler arm (#5 on your attached diagram) itself need not be change except replacing its bushing ?

Thanks

Registered Member
    Member No: 92707 540sport is on a distinguished road 540sport's Avatar

Yes | No

Yes, if I remember we drove the bushing out

using a drift and tapped the new one in, no press was required. I also recommend TRW parts because they were recommended to me and have been fine for 2 years. Lemforder makes the best bushings for the suspension arms and rear ball joints.
    Vin
    98 540 Sport with everything & extra hots
    BMW CCA, Boston Chapter
    "The 540 is the head-case supermodel girlfriend..." Eric S.
    "The worst thing you could do with your money is save it." ~ Jackie Gleason
    If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. Mario Andretti
    The United States is a nation of laws: poorly written and randomly enforced. - Frank Zappa

CGL

Yes | No

Re: The Pitman arm is solid, the balljoint is on....

What would be a fair labor charge from an Indy shop to replace the center drag link, two tie-rod ends and idler arm ? I know it would be zero if I can do it myself but this is not something I want to mess with. I am asking just the labor charge to replace these parts and not including the labor for the required 4-wheel alignment afterward.

Thanks

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information