+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Registered Member
    Member No: 73453 andrewash is an unknown quantity at this point andrewash's Avatar

Yes | No

Short cold weather / top down story

Dead of winter. Very cold. I pick up my mother in law and we make the 35 mile trip back to my house - top up all the way. About 750 feet from our house is a stop sign. I take a little longer than usual to pull away because I put the top down and we drove the last 750 feet topless. The look on my wife's face when we pulled in the driveway was priceless. My MIL was laughing her head off too.

Hey, sometimes you gotta be a nut! OK, so for me it's a full time job but at least people leave me alone! :)
    Read "Through The Esses" on RaceFansTV.com

ashautomobilia.com

TheRaceSite.com

dailysportscar.com

User Level 8
    Member No: 6602 fredr is on a distinguished road fredr's Avatar

Yes | No

I got my hardtop for Texas summers, not winters.

Fred
    96 1.9 Z3 black/tan/black
    97 M3/4 estoril/gray
    08 Kubota 3400 HST orange/charcoal
    08 GMC Sierra stealth gray/gray

Z3forme

Yes | No

Re: question about cold weather top down driving

With a hat on the heater going and the heated seats fired up I find about 45 to be my limit.

mano

Yes | No

Several times going to the golf course in the 20's (yes we're sick, we have to wait until it gets above 32 and greens thaw, but we do play). Guys I play with used to say damn, it's too cold for top down, I look at them and laugh, if it's too cold for top down, it's too cold for playing golf!
    Several times coming home from the airport in the low-mid 20's (fly almost each week). Many, many times in the 30's for golf and coming home from airport. Mesh windscreen and no heated seats. With coat, hat, and gloves no problem.
    Bought Z4 with heated seats few months ago, looking forward to top down winter driving.
    If it's not raining or snowing, top is down regardless of temp here in Fort Worth. Except going to airport on Monday morns in case airline or co-worker calls with info.
    Scott

Registered Member
    Member No: 13295 bryanclar is on a distinguished road bryanclar's Avatar

Yes | No

You don't have to bring up bad memories!

97 2.8 Arctic Silver - Tanin Red interior with wood console - black top
    Whalen Shift Machine, polished - Type II windscreen (non roll-hoops) - Bilstein HD shocks/struts
    Axxis Metal Master pads - Brembo rotors - Doug Whalen seat bushings
    Passenger Eject (unfortunately non-functional) - OEM Passenger Airbag Disable switch
    Polk Audio all around - Blaupunkt PA amps - LeatherZ Mark II armrest - Strong Strut Trio - AUX input via tapedeck

Registered Member
    Member No: 169665 mechanicsc is an unknown quantity at this point mechanicsc's Avatar

Yes | No

50 degrees is my bottom temp for having the top down. That usually requires the heater to be running and a fleece jacket for me.

I'm a lifelong southerner, so kinda wimpy when it comes to cold.
    mechanicsc
    2002 Z3 3.0i

markwb9

Yes | No

Well today was the lowest I have driven with the top down, 32 degrees. I picked up a friends new hardtop at the dealership yesterday and today we installed it. I already have the hardtop, so my car has the kit install and it was the easiest was to get the top to his home. We did my brothers hardtop in October and it took way to long, today took just about 2 hours. The drive home was a bit chilly, but not all that bad. Had the seat heaters on, the heat all the way up, ski hat and gloves. Distance was 20 miles and I did top 80 a couple of times. Got some "is that guy crazy looks". It was all good.

Bad Email Address on File
    Member No: 128020 Carlin96M44 is on a distinguished road Carlin96M44's Avatar

Yes | No

Mine has a small nuclear power plant for a heater.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information