+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 77771 wicked94pgt is an unknown quantity at this point wicked94pgt's Avatar

Yes | No

bleeding neatly?

ok so bleeding the cooling system is a routine topic around here, as it's often the answer to many problems people experience with this car. Wash and wax? Better bleed after that just in case :P I've done it so many times...

What I have never figured out is how to do this without making a mess? In the process I always end up spraying coolant all over the place. Aside from the mess, it makes it harder to tell if something's leaking the next time I'm in there, unless I hose down that corner of the engine bay when I'm done.

I know the shops and dealers use a vacuum bleeder so they don't have to worry about this. I wonder if there's a tool that could thread into the bleeder screw hole and has some kind of hose fitting on it?

Maybe I could make something using a spare bleeder screw...

1996 BMW 328i
    2003 BMW F650CS - R.I.P. 8/25/2004
    2005 Suzuki SV650S - 3/26/2005

Steve G

Yes | No

I haven't had problems bleeding, no special tools.

I've had my E36 for over 10 years, and I must have bled the system 15 times without problems. You really just need to be patient and follow the instructions.

I spill less than half a cup of coolant bleeding the air out. No big deal. It's water soluble so just hose it down.

Yes it's a little messy, but draining coolant from the block is about 100 times as bad.

Sorry, not trying to be unhelpful. I didn't even know special tools were available.

Registered Member
    Member No: 77771 wicked94pgt is an unknown quantity at this point wicked94pgt's Avatar

Yes | No

I don't think there are any special tools

Unless you're talking about the vacuum bleeder, which isn't really a "special tool" as much as standard shop equipment that I'm guessing is too costly for DIYers. It's not a BMW specific tool.

I haven't really had any "problems" bleeding, aside from the mess. I think I'm spilling more than a 1/2 cup but it's hard to say.

I looked back at your bleeding procedure and I noticed that you don't keep the bleed screw open the entire time - just open it occasionally. You also mention revving the motor occasionally. I've been revving the engine for a few seconds periodically, but with the bleed screw open. That's when I'm spilling a lot. Coolant doesn't really come out of the bleed screw at idle (I should note that I always do this on an incline so as to make the bleed point the highest point in the system). OTOH, I have seen some big bubbles come out while revving, so it may have been worthwhile.

Another reason for wanting a bleeding tube is to make it easier to see the bubbles, or lack thereof. I always wondered if I was really seeing air escaping the system, or just bubbles created at the point of escape due to turbulence as the coolant pushes past the bleed screw. But after doing it a few times, I think you just get the feel for it and know what to look for. So I guess it's not really necessary.

1996 BMW 328i
    2003 BMW F650CS - R.I.P. 8/25/2004
    2005 Suzuki SV650S - 3/26/2005

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information