+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

NC02Z3

Yes | No

Ottawa trip in winter??

We were thinking of going to the Winterlude festivities in Ottawa in February. We own nothing but sports cars and were wondering if the our Z3 would be OK for the trip without winter tires. We just bought a new set of Goodyear F1 'all-season' tires which are supposed to be OK in light snow. I'd like to hear from northern Z3 drivers if we are insane to think about this trek or would we be OK? No way of knowing in advance what the actual weather would be like once there. Could be a blizzard or sunny with no snow.

Registered Member
    Member No: 114606 droz3 is an unknown quantity at this point droz3's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Ottawa trip in winter??

I lived in Montreal for most of my life, Ottawa is a bit more to the South hence the weather should be milder but I would never dare driving my rear wheel drive Z3 in winter without any winter tires.
    You'd be better off renting a car with winter tires.
    My Z3 specifications :
    2001, 3.0L, 5-speeds, Topaz Blue/ Sport package/ Premium package/ Stong-Strut front+rear+body/ Front shocks Bilstein HD/ Rear shocks Bilstein Sport/ Rogue Engineering rear shock mount/ Ireland Engineering rear sub-frame bushing/ CDV delete/ Double-Vanos Rebuilt/ Michelin PS2/ HardTop/ Jim Conforti CAI/ Jim Conforti Shark/ PIAA low+high+fog/ LeatherZ Mark2 armrest/ Front spoiler protector/ trunk organizer/ DRL module/ European Wiper Module/ Pioneer AVIC-N1 GPS-Receiver+XM Radio+12CD CD Charger/ 5.25" MBQUART PCE213/ 4" MBQUART DKE110/ 6" Focal sub-woofer/ Memphis Belle amp 4x55W + 1x400W/ BMW mesh windscreen.
    I also have a 2001 740i Jet Black with Sports Package

Registered Member
    Member No: 175082 northz is an unknown quantity at this point northz's Avatar

Yes | No

You are talking about Ottawa, Ontario,, Canada, correct?
    If so, All season tires in this country are considered no season tires. Ottawa generally gets a fair amount of snow. I put my wife's Z away for the winter but more so because of the salt used on the roads.

NC02Z3

Yes | No

OK, well that's two 'thumbs down' so far. We were there back in '91 and we rented a tiny Pontiac Firefly. I guess it must have had snow tires then. What a pain for the rental car companies to switch them all out. I guess we might skip this travel idea then. I'm not flying in and renting. Just too expensive.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Don't get me wrong, it would be a great trip, just not in the Z3 in the winter. Skating on the canal I am told is great.

markwb9

Yes | No

I use my Z3 year round in central Pennsylvania. As of last week I installed the winter tires. This year the wife and I are going to Niagara Falls for New Years, we will be taking the Z. Unless they are having a blizzard. With snows the Z is a very good snow vehicle.

NC02Z3

Yes | No

We recieved a response from CAA in Ottawa when we sent them this same question. Even the ultra promoters of tourism and travel told us, "Don't come without snow tires". LOL! That really settles it.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Well, we had a dusting of snow on Friday, about 2.5 cm (1") of light fluffy snow and my wife told me the back end was "loose" in the city. We have Michelins on the Z which are "winter" rated. She isw not concerned with her abilities but of the other "crazies" out there. Time to but the Z to "bed".

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information