+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

pimpsled

Yes | No

Bought a 2004 X3 3.0 Sport w/ 115K

runs great. Got it from a CCA member that took care of it. No kid stuff and

Love the exhaust tone of the 3.0. The ride takes a little getting used to (coming from a 2000 528i sport) but I like it. the wife has a tendency to get car sick as a norm so I let her drive.

I can't do another winter w/ a rear wheel drive car. The 528i was always a third car so I never relied on it for winter use and the few times I did drive it in the snow with snow tires it was okay but any incline was a hope and a prayer.

I have tooled around w/ the M52 engine enough to feel confident in repairs on the X3. Flushed the radiator coolant. Lexal the leatha.

RM

Yes | No

Re: Bought a 2004 X3 3.0 Sport w/ 115K

You'll love the X3 once the weather get worse. It will go anywhere. Just make sure you got good tires.-RM

Registered Member
    Member No: 50104 PimpSled is an unknown quantity at this point PimpSled's Avatar

Yes | No

Thanks man. 18-inch Bridgestone Turanzas. Mmmm iffy in the snow. Thaks for the tip.

Had to top-off the oil after 2K mile, nothing concerning.

Registered Member
    Member No: 145925 codog2 is an unknown quantity at this point codog2's Avatar

Yes | No

sounds like you have the sports package. Most people on the other board have slammed the turanzas and prefer the other oem tires - scorpions.

I've read good things about the new conti extreme's, especially with regards to snow.

I'm a former e39 owner too and the snow tires weren't cutting for me either

RM

Yes | No

I have the Scorpions as original equipment with about 38,000 miles. I use 17" Michelin x-ice in the winter and I swear I can climb a tree with them ;-)
    - RM

Registered Member
    Member No: 50104 PimpSled is an unknown quantity at this point PimpSled's Avatar

Yes | No

You would think after 12 inches of snow we had this week I could have tested the all wheel capability.

Is anyone here changing the front/rear differential and transfer case fluids?

I know they say 'life time' but my records show the transfer case was done at 50K miles (thank God). I'm not 100% sold on using Redline for the long intervals between fluid changes.

Alan K

Yes | No

Hey td, I am thinking of moving from E39 to X3...

I'd like to get your impressions of the X3 after owning the E39. I have a '99 540iA Sport and may upgrade soon. Thx.

M5X3

Yes | No

Re: Hey td, I am thinking of moving from E39 to X3...

I know your question was directed at td, but I guess I'll nose in. I currently own a 2004 X3 6-speed with sport and almost every other option. I previously owned 3 E39s, including a 2008 sport and two newer M5s. The X3 provides a lot more utility, but the sport version also provides a somewhat harsher ride than even the performance versions of the E39. Currently my other vehicle is a 2006 750i that has provided 61k enjoyable miles. But for some reason I still get a kick out of driving the X3. I guess it's the handling and driving experience that is just so unusual for an SUV. I donít think the stiff suspension should bother someone used to a sport E39.

I like the X3 enough that I currently have a new one on order which will replace the 7. When new car fever struck, the 7 and the new 5 were tempting, but I couldn't commit until I drove the new X3. The new adjustable suspension option appears to have addressed the objection most people had with the old X3, while retaining the handling advantages.

Registered Member
    Member No: 145925 codog2 is an unknown quantity at this point codog2's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Hey td, I am thinking of moving from E39 to X3...

sorry for the delayed response. I really do miss my 01 530 sport 5 speed. If I could get it back I would - nothing put a grin on my face like that car did. It was an incredible handler and the 5 speed added to the fun

That being said the X3 (automatic) is much more versatile and arguably the best handling suv. Somewhat choppy road (even with the non sport) My gas mileage took a hit given that I went from rwd to awd (I believe you said you had the v8 so really wouldn't matter).

Both were/have been reliable but I don't get the mystical electrical "gremlins" I used to get with the 530. Hands down the x3 is better in the winter. Even with snow tires I had trouble with the 530

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information