+ Reply to Thread
    E39_Silver

Yes | No

I've got a problem and it is good and abnormal ...

E39_Silver

Yes | No

Retry

retry

I recently replaced my rear brakes. Drive thru car wash hydraulic system abit faulty, normal? But what was not normal was: car started misfiring, stalling and a bunch of white smoke for about a few starts. Keep in mind car was "on" during entire wash cycle. Never done an under carriage wash but I did this time.

I am thinking exhaust leaks, maybe some water got into the cats? I checked OBD codes bunch of misfires and and both cats (P0430 and P0420). Once I cleared the codes, after running car for about 3 miles the car idled fine. Any suggestions?

Silver
    1998 540I6 9/1997

User Level 8
    Member No: 21320 edjack will become famous soon enough edjack's Avatar

Yes | No

Yeah, you sucked in some water while in >>

the car wash. Good thing it was not enough to hydrolock the engine. Why would you run the engine whilst in a car wash, anyway? Doesn't make sense to me.
    Ed in San Jose. BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319). Golden Gate Chapter. '97 540i 6 speed. Build Date 3/97. Aspensilber over Aubergine leather.

E39_Silver

Yes | No

didnt think about it until I put 2 and 2 together

Registered Member
    Member No: 21689 Gadjo.Dilo is an unknown quantity at this point Gadjo.Dilo's Avatar

Yes | No

Hydrolock and a clogged drain: check this!

Check this picture from our German E39 fellows:

http://www.motor-talk.de/bilder/wasser-beim-bremskraftverstaerker-erinnerung-g29306811/foto0168-i203642912.html

This was also discovered after servicing the rear brakes. He got away safe. A fellow German member with a 540i killed his engine this way a few days before. So you may wan to check these drains at both sides under the cabin filter holders.

If you drain under the brake booster is clogged, rain water cannot escape and will flood the brake booster and reservoir. Since the brake booster operates at underpressure, water will be sucked in and will end up in the engine combustion chambers...

Registered Member
    Member No: 16800 calemon is an unknown quantity at this point calemon's Avatar

Yes | No

Yes, this ^^^

It pays to inspect "things" regularly, even things you don't think need inspecting :)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information