+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Rockford, IL, United States
    Member No: 114841 bmw-f1-fan is an unknown quantity at this point bmw-f1-fan's Avatar
    Yes | No

'89 e34 535i rough idle only when raining

My 535 idles very rough, like a galloping horse at lower rmps when it is raining or with very wet snow. I realized there is not a plastic engine cover to protect the underside of the car as many years back I trash it on a parking block. Could that be the culprit? Is something getting wet? If I "floor it" the car will get up and get it on.

I did the standard things replaced plugs, dist cap/rotor, idle control valve, vacuum leak check, replaced fuel pump(for other reasons) and fuel filter.

Again this only happens in high moisture conditions.

Any suggestions?

, ,

Yes | No

Re: '89 e34 535i rough idle only when raining

First thing I would do is carefully remove the connector(s) to the temperature semsors, MAF, and throttle plate and re-connect them several times. These are low voltage low impedance connectors that if corroded at all, may loose contact and cause your problems, particulary the time/temp bulb (which also may be bad and need replacement).

By disconnecting and re-connecting you are cleaning the contact surfaces, at least for a while.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information