+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Eurodavid

Yes | No

aw, better advice: spank that......

assssssssssss.

Phooey-patooey with that little rear sway bar link nut Mr. Lev describes and having to mess with putting a little, thin wrench on it. Real men just focus on the front nut and ignore the rear one when removing the sway bar links.

Why? Well, we just fire up our HFT Central Pneumatic Earthquake 92353 wicked-fast 3/4" Impact Wrench with 1400 ft lbs of torque, hit the ignition button w/ reckless abandon, and BLAMMM-YOSEMITE-SAM!, it teleports that old link, nut and sometimes secured bolt right off there.

Bit of husky man advice, though, when putting the new link and front nut back on: just use a really, really, REALLY light feather trigger finger, as if you were removing a contact from a baby's eye. Just like you are microscopic fleck of metal off your favorite sandwich, feather that trigger and BLAMMM, problem solved again. No screwing with flat, thin wrenches.

This message has been brought to you by your unofficial trusty-dusty assss-spanking HFT rep:

Eurodavid

P.S. Stay tuned for next week's tutorial on how to use your Central Pneumatic Earthquake for removing those numerous pesky plastic-fender wheel-well screws...

Registered Member
    Member No: 4328 jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev's Avatar

Yes | No

LOL, how U been Euro, got those side walls of (m)

your snows all cracked yet? My 0 miles Dunlop SP2000E spare has been in the trunk for the last 6+ years, looks brand new, probably will never put it on the car cuz it won't match up with my PS2's.

Eurodavid

Yes | No

Re: LOL, how U been Euro, got those side walls of (m)

Jim,

They still look ok, we are still getting snow here, but late last and today it is not sticking anymore, and is mixing with rain, so will have to wait for other bad weather the rest of the season.

So far, I'm too afraid to go over, say, 40mph, with them on. I also won't allow any of the family in the car either (just in case). Figure it is better to be safe than sorry, as I remember the old days when if you were a broke, young kid trying to stretch a tire to last just a bit longer, you sometimes might end up feeling & hearing a slight thud from one of your wheels as a small chunk of the tread had torn loose ;-)

Did you guys on the N.E. Coast get blasted with that really, really cold air and then snow we got over here? I kept missing the news for the USA. We had the mid-to-low teens, which is like: "come on!', as Belgium is by the ocean for crissakes and we aren't ever supposed to see/feel that kind of stuff. The past 5 years have been getting progressively weirder in terms of weather compared to the last 20 or so we've spent on & off here.

I almost--key word: almost-- miss living in that dry, parched AZ desert sand hole we used to have a home in.

Eurodavid

Registered Member
    Member No: 92707 540sport is on a distinguished road 540sport's Avatar

Yes | No

Because then it would be called the factory bar.

Vin
    98 540 Sport with everything & extra hots
    BMW CCA, Boston Chapter
    "The 540 is the head-case supermodel girlfriend..." Eric S.
    "The worst thing you could do with your money is save it." ~ Jackie Gleason
    If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. Mario Andretti
    The United States is a nation of laws: poorly written and randomly enforced. - Frank Zappa

BG

Yes | No

NEW QUESTION: Use rubber or urethane bushings?

Do you folks recommend using the stock rubber 16.5 mm bushings or the Powerflex urethane ones? Thanks!

Craig in Canada

Yes | No

Re: NEW QUESTION: Use rubber or urethane bushings?

As far as I know, Powerflex doesn't make a 16.5mm application.

Regardless, my recommendation (after using Powerflex everywhere on my E39 in 2005) is for OE rubber. In my experience and opinion, urethane doesn't add as much in a street-driven car as it tends to take away in the form of service life and increased NVH. That's just my opinion, though.

Registered Member
    Member No: 4328 jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev's Avatar

Yes | No

I know we have differing views on this, however (m

The polyurethane bushings I used (only on my sway bars) haven't made more noise that I can detect.
    They are still in great condition after many years and about 80K miles, no squeaks either.
    If any of you want to stick with OEM rubber bushings for an M5 bar I would suggest you use the next size smaller. The rubber is so soft that the bigger M5 bar will fit it and be held tighter for less lean in the corners....just my 2.

Registered Member
    Member No: 16800 calemon is an unknown quantity at this point calemon's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: I know we have differing views on this, however (m

BTW, I did notice, contrary to what I was told by several people, that my Powerflex bushings never squeaked either. I was pretty happy about that. My indy who put them on while doing other work in 2005 told me they'd be creaking like a pirate ship in 9 months or so and would need relube - they never did.

Mine significantly increased NVH (mostly the tension strut bushings). The wishbone bushings crumbled at around 3.5 years of age. After working on some strange handling issues I replaced the front sway bushings with the original rubber that was on the car for 7 years and it significantly improved predictability. I'm just about to replace the tension strut bushings with OE rubber again to remove the NVH. They are the most sheltered of all the bushings from the elements (remember that they are forward and covered on the I6) but I think they are loosening up too.

As Jim said, our experiences have differed. I probably won't bother with urethane again except maybe on a fair weather fun car. I will say that (other than the NVH) when I got my new shocks and bushings put in in 2005 it was pretty impressive when pushed really hard. I remember noticing braking in particular. I figure the stock (7 year old at the time) tension strut bushings deform significantly under heavy braking, cause toe out and reduce stability. With brand new Powerflex everything stayed straight and true.

Registered Member

Yes | No

When I replaced my sway bushings I did consider (m

using PowerFlex bushings in the traction strut and wishbone but read a few posts back then (possibly yours) about the increase in road noise so I decided not to get them. Mine are still the original ones that came in the car, just hit 131K today.

BG

Yes | No

Update: installed M5 rear bar - nice

Thanks to all of you for advice. I bought the 16.5 mm bar, links, and parts from Husker BMW, which has reasonable prices. I was going to install it myself, but I only have ramps and the ground was cold, so I let my mechanic do it. Result: less leaning in tight turns, no obvious harshness. So far, a nice upgrade.

(2002 530i, 16-inch wheels, regular non-sport suspension, 5-sp.)

Registered Member
    Member No: 133586 nnunez is an unknown quantity at this point nnunez's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Does M5 rear sway bar help with turning the car

If anyone is interested, I can make the Urethane bushings.

If someone has dimensions and hardness that is.

I work for a Polyurethane company and can make all kinds of trinkets.

I will not charge for the part but only the shipping.

2000 540i Sport in Houston, TX

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information