+ Reply to Thread
    Eurodavid

Yes | No

Windshield Washer Pump, which parts do I

Hi all!

Came home today thinking my windshield washer fluid was empty (and that is why it hasn't been pumping the past few weeks), only to find upon pouring fluid in the neck, it was already full & that I had evidently filled it this fall and forgot.

I then sat in the passenger seat, activated the windshield washer, and heard nothing from the passenger wheel well. Also, I pulled the fuses in the glove box for the pump, replaced them with new, no effect. Next, like ExAlfa taught me, I went out and made sure none of the hoses running up & around the hood were pinching, ruined, or whatever that would restrict flow and/or be leaking. Still, no fluid coming out. Even stuck a needle into the 4 fluid exit nipples, all clear.

I figure since I hear zippo sound from the pass wheel well where I should be hearing that pump whirr just a little, that the pump is actually kaput and I have to replace it (real fun in this freezing weather). Would that be a correct assumption? Next, my question for you all (or anyone that has done this), what else would you replace while you are in there---here's the RealOEM link:

e39 528 windshield washer pump/container

I figure Number 2 (67128360244) is definite for my 1996 528i, as that is the actual pump, yes??? Is there anything else in there you guys found necessary to replace and/or wish you had replaced while in there? This just would have to happen at the time of year when it is a PIA to get out there and fix it ;-(

Thanks for any advice and/or hints.

Eurodavid
    1996 528i
    194500kms

Eurodavid

Yes | No

also, JimLev, could you give the Dummy Guide

for how I check voltage at the pump leads, to make sure voltage is getting there (and thus it is the pump)? Do I just use a voltmeter (what setting?), disconnect the plug-in, touch them suckers and see if some sort of current is passing through? Or what? (remember, you know me and electricity; I am handicapped, so be kind)

Eurodavid

Registered Member
    Member No: 32600 BCS is an unknown quantity at this point BCS's Avatar

Yes | No

#2 is the pump and get the gasket.

My pump failed like your about a year ago. The pumpjust pushes into the tank so you probably should get the gasket for a good fit. Everything worked fine after replacing the pump. You will loose what liquid that is in the tank when you remove the old pump.

Registered Member
    Member No: 4328 jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev's Avatar

Yes | No

Just stick your tongue on the 2 pins and have (m)

your wife turn on the washers. If you wack your head on the inner fender you have power at the pump connnector.
    You should have 12 volts at the connector when turned on, DVM set to DC and 20volt scale. For those without a DVM a small light bulb like the one in the side of the front fender will work in place of a DVM.

Mike S

Yes | No

Re: Windshield Washer Pump

It's almost certainly the pump. Strong suggestion - go with an OEM replacement, the aftermarket units I tried made me an expert on replacing the washer pump.

Registered Member
    Member No: 18117 eargo is an unknown quantity at this point eargo's Avatar

Yes | No

I've done this job....

Hi Eurodavid

BCS is correct, the parts you need are # 2 and 3.

My car is RHD with the bottle at the lower rear of the right front wheel arch and I expect it's the same on your LHD model.

The job's a bit tricky but there's no need to remove the wheel nor the arch liner, you don't even need to jack the car.....despite what some manuals say.

Park the steering in full RH lock to give max. access to the lower rear outer section of the arch liner. This is from memory, but I think you'll see 3 or 4 peg type liner fixings on the lower rim of the wing/liner.....remove these carefully. Having done this job twice I found the best/easiest way was to gently push the circular pegs into the wing recess...you should be able to retrieve & reuse them once you get behind the liner. There's also a small grub bolt a bit further into the arch recess which you should remove to give more play with the liner. All of this allows good access to the pump.

Ok, so you're in....and you'll be able to see the pump now. The tricky bit is removing/replacing the pump. Don't bother trying to remove the flexi pipe from the pump yet...it'll be far easier once the pump is released...but be careful not to strain the pipe meantime. The pump is kinda clipped in to an indentation on the water bottle. To remove the pump you've got to try and lever it upwards whilst at the same time gently tilting it out away from the bottle...the new parts will give you a good idea when to start tilting/pulling.

Finally, and you may already know, BMW incorporated a sort of overflow system to the engine bay filler bottle neck whereby if you overfill the neck water goes out the overflow at the FRONT on the wheelarch......so don't panic if this happens.

Cheers

Eddie

Registered Member
    Member No: 153102 cn90 is on a distinguished road cn90's Avatar

Yes | No

I wrote a DIY here

Euro,

I wrote a DIY here. Just delete the hyphen to see it. Good Luck!

http://www.b---immerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=400924

Registered Member
    Member No: 30282 dsalinas is on a distinguished road dsalinas's Avatar

Yes | No

Lol!

jet black 2000 528iA
    sport premium package
    MB Quart speakers
    two Alpine amps
    MTX subwoofer
    AudioControl equalizer
    Dice interface for iPod