+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 106015 CPUken is an unknown quantity at this point CPUken's Avatar

Yes | No

Coolant Temp warning / Service Engine Light

My 1998 528i is parked outside (too much junk in the garage to get two cars in there...) so two nights ago the temp dropped to single digits here. I went out to warm the car so the wife and I could run a few errands that morning. Car started fine and my aggravating door latches freezing happened again (heat gun those babies so that would stay closed).
    We drove about 2 miles when the Coolant Temp warning message appeared!! and temp gauge was in the red. Decided to turn around and get the other car. On the drive back the temp dropped back into the normal range then back up then back to normal for the last mile or so.
    I admit there had been a check coolant level warning a couple days earlier. When I got the car back home, I added coolant mixture... it may have taken about 20-30 ounces if that much.
    Any ideas what is going on? Car had about 145K miles and had a new radiator installed about 3 months ago.
    Thanks
    Ken

Craig in Canada

Yes | No

Re: Coolant Temp warning / Service Engine Light

First guesses:

Was the gauge erratic, or progressing smoothly between normal and hot? If erratic, I'd look at the gauge, sensor and wiring. If smooth, I'd guess t-stat or wpump issues. Did you have continuous heat from the heater the whole time? If no - check wpump, if yes - t-stat.

FYI, the door latches can be fixed by warming and then greasing the latches that flip back and forth. In absence of the proper BMW recommended clean 3M lubricants, use something like white lithium grease spray and get it all over the latch, then work the latch around by hand. You need to get it worked all around the mechanism and especially into the catch this grabs the latch and holds the door closed.

I had this goofy, annoying and embarrassing problem for a while until I remembered to lube the door latches. It hasn't recurred since. The most effective way is to remove the door panels but that's a PITA.

jimcash

Yes | No

Some thoughts.

When the rad was changed the sytem may not have been properly filled and bled.Then when you hit cold weather you will get a low coolant warning because it has condenced a bit and the level has gone down.

OR - you have a leak.

The fact you also got the check engine lamp on could mean something else happened.

I would suggest the following - to be sure you are not going to destroy that engine (easy to do very quickly when it overheats)

- get the system pressure tested and look for slow leaks. Fix any that are found - suspect hose connection points.

- refill and have the system bled "properly" as per the BMW specks.

- have the engine codes read to find out what brought that warning lamp on.

Cheers
    Jim Cash

Registered Member

Yes | No

Registered Member

Yes | No

Just took another short trip to run some errands... total round trip maybe 25 miles with 4 stops along the way.
    Got the same Coolant Temp warning and temp gauge going to red.
    Per Craig's suggestion, I paid attention to see if the blower was blowing hot air... It Was Not!!! Does this mean water pump for sure or maybe water pump?

Had to stop a couple extra times to allow the temp to lower.

Seems like I had read somewhere that turning on the defrost, helps to
    mitigate the temp... I did that and it seemed to help lower the temp but that could have been just a coincidence.

Got an appointment at the dealer tomorrow. That's about a 20 mile drive, should I pull over anytime it goes up to the red on the temp gauge?

thanks guys.
    Ken

Registered Member
    Member No: 104565 Zardoz2025 is on a distinguished road Zardoz2025's Avatar

Yes | No

You should stop driving the car until it's fixed..

The I6's are very susceptable to head/gasket damage if overheated. Have it hauled to your mechanic.
    Ed CT
    1998 528i (aka, best car I ever owned!)
    5-Speed
    Aspen Silver
    Aubergine Leather
    Zeckhausen CDV
    Nokia CK-7
    D-Con Cache on Fuel Pump Cover

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information