+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

dorkdog

Yes | No

Cooper MINI vs Z3

I like balance in my life.

I have my Z3 for the summertime, and over the shoulder I transition into my 'winter' car; a 2007 Yaris. I find myself rocking back and forth trying to help it go up hills LOL and quite honestly the Yaris has no features making it safer to drive in the winter as the Cooper or even the Z3 for that matter.

So now I am thinking about upgrading my winter vehicle and wonder about the Cooper as a possible choice - it's FWD, BMW, ABS, DSC all the safe and fun acronyms and heated seats besides!

How do the 2 vehicles compare? I have not driven one yet; there's no dealer near here that I can find...

Thanks

markwb9

Yes | No

Re: Cooper MINI vs Z3

I have a Z3 and the wife has a Mini with snow tires both are very good winter vehicles. Last year we had more snow than normal in central PA and both performed well. The only thing that is an issue with us is we do not have a local Mini dealer. Mini really has their head up their a** about their dealerships. In Pennsylvania we now have 3 dealers, one in Pittsbugh (a sh*thole of a dealership) one in Philly and a new one in Allentown. Sun Motors in the Harrisburg area tried to get a dealership which would have put one in the middle of our state but instead they chose Allentown which put 2 dealerships in the eastern part and 1 in the western part. When it comes time to replace this Mini, I will not buy an other Mini unless they have a dealership within 100 miles. Sorry about the rant, but Mini's attitude has pissed me off.

Registered Member
    Member No: 129783 kostverloren is an unknown quantity at this point kostverloren's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Cooper MINI vs Z3

90 miles north and 90 miles south are my options. Luckily my mini doesn't require a hell of alot looking after so it comes down to about a trip a year or there abouts.Kostverloren

Doug W.

Yes | No

MINI's are great in the snow...

I'm on my second MINI, a 2009 JCW Coupe. First one was a 2004 MCS, bout in 2008.

Like any car, good snow tires make a world of difference.
    I ran Blizzaks on the 2004 in northern Illinois, with no problems at all.

I haven't yet replaced the stock runflats on my current car, and so I avoid driving in the slippery stuff (like our current blizzard!).

I recommend joining www.northamericanmotoring.com and asking if there is anyone nearby whose car (with good snows on) you can try out; we MINI folks are a friendly and helpful bunch! :-)

Registered Member
    Member No: 183924 dorkdog is an unknown quantity at this point dorkdog's Avatar

Yes | No

I now own both

I picked up a 2008 MINI Clubman last week; Hot Chocolate over black leather/sunroof(s), heated seats. 15K miles with a 6 speed manual.

Seems like the perfect complement to the Z3 for those non-Z3 days or when the kid's along for the ride with us.

Very fun car!

dd2000 BMW Z3 2.8 5-speed stock; Oxfordgruen/tan/black
    2008 MINI Clubman 6-speed stock; Hot Chocolate/black

Doug W.

Yes | No

If you haven't already...

Still the biggest and best MINI site out there (by far), even though it's no longer privately-owned.

Doug W.

Yes | No

Oh; and CONGRATULATIONS! :-)

Serge

Yes | No

So, still satisfied?

hello,
    i am in the very same situation! my winter car (wife's car) is a 2005 echo hatchback!!!!
    Needless to say that the echo is boring compared to our Z3...

We are looking at MINI's to replace the Echo, from what I read so far they are great winter car.
    We looked at a 2005 MINI with autotrans and the CVT was for sure defective the drive was not fun although the handling was great!
    We tried a 2007 MCS with 17" wheels and found the suspension really harsch. We plan to try Monday night a full equiped 2007 auto with 16" with only 37,000km (about 20,000 miles)

So I find it funny that we are (were) almost in the same situation!

How is your MINI doing?

Serge

Doug W.

Yes | No

Countryman AWD?

I have yet to see one in "person", but I'd like to go test-drive the new AWD Countryman, while we have snow on the roads.
    It's got to be a great winter driver, I'm sure!

teeszee

Yes | No

Re: Countryman AWD?

I was just at the detroit auto show and sat in a countryman. I liked it..the styling, size and specs. Haven't had the chance to drive one on our snowy January roads yet but it is a nice car. Bigger than the traditional mini and not as long as the clubman.

pmr49

Yes | No

Re: Countryman AWD?

Happy enough with normal Clubman S performance, but without driving the Countryman S ALL4, we went ahead and ordered one which is now sitting at the dealer, ready for pickup on Saturday.

Having made this move, I can pretty much guarantee it will never snow again in the Seattle area.

I am quite sure it will be plenty o' fun, but will really be surprised if it comes close to the fun of our 99 M Roadster.

I'll post something in a few weeks.

My view of MINI dealership distribution and marketing is that they are very shrewdly managing supply - keeps the mystique/prices alive.

Registered Member
    Member No: 149143 lpcapital is an unknown quantity at this point lpcapital's Avatar

Yes | No

You should check out the WRC version on YouTube...

...if you haven't yet... Veeeeeeeeeeeery nice: I would have preferred that one to the X3, but the wife said "NO!!"

I'm curious as to what traction system they had used. Probably and xDrive style wet clutch...
    ---------------------------------

2003 Z4 2.5i
    2002 Ducati Monster S4

Doug W.

Yes | No

Wow! Those trees are too close!!!

Registered Member
    Member No: 183924 dorkdog is an unknown quantity at this point dorkdog's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: So, still satisfied?

I'm enjoying the Mini so much I'm almost in no bhurry for spring.

Almost.

Seriously though the Yaris sits in the driveway gathering ice and bird poop... and yes the MINI is much better in the snow - and the heated seats are a lifesaver!

Go for it!

I stuck with the 'justa' Mini because a) I already have a fast car, and b) on the forums it seems evident that the supercharged engine can be a bit higher on the maintenance end - everything from clutch to brakes so it seems.2000 BMW Z3 2.8 5-speed stock; Oxfordgruen/tan/black
    2008 MINI Clubman 6-speed stock; Hot Chocolate/black

Registered Member
    Member No: 185662 pangster is an unknown quantity at this point pangster's Avatar

Yes | No
    tyre choice is critical for either car.. I heard the Mini's have some reliability issues around power steering pump failures.. not sure if these were rectified by subsequent design changes..

1998 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster
    1998 BMW 316i Compact (E36)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 94.175.85.84

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information