+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 26359 nanotech9 is an unknown quantity at this point nanotech9's Avatar

Yes | No

528i starts hard, throws CEL, runs bad, randomly.

Trying to figure out a problem with the G/F's '99 528i (107k miles). Its intermittent, so i haven't been able to diagnose it yet when its having the problem.

symptoms: occasionally (once or twice a week) it'll start hard, described to me like a weak battery. It'll crank over 3 times slowly, then STOP. reset the key, try again, and it starts right up.

It immediately throws the CEL, and while the CEL is on, it runs poorly, stuttering from time to time, very low on power, and nearly dying out at lights sometimes.

Then, just as randomly, the CEL will go off, and the car will start and run normally until it does the hard start thing again, and repeats the cycle.

history:

It did this (low on power, poor idle) a few months ago. Threw the emissions /gas cap code. It just hit about 105k miles, so i changed the plugs, and it started running great again. Ran great for a month or so, then the CEL came back on. Went to Autozone to check the codes, and they said it was not showing any codes. ??????

Please help.

My plan so far is short: check the plugs, possibly try a new CPS?- Nano
    '91 318is

Registered Member
    Member No: 81817 wpeterso is an unknown quantity at this point wpeterso's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: 528i starts hard, throws CEL, runs bad, randomly.

never had the code read when the light was on?'97 M3 Bright Red

Registered Member
    Member No: 26359 nanotech9 is an unknown quantity at this point nanotech9's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: 528i starts hard, throws CEL, runs bad, randomly.

yes - last time i tried to have autozone read it the light WAS on, but supposedly no code. Could be a faulty autozone employee... lol.

I'm gonna borrow a code reader from work and give it a go myself.- Nano
    '91 318is
    '99 528i
    '05 BMW R1200GS
    '98 Jeep Cherokee lifted
    '07 Titan SE 4x4 Offroad

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information