+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 81817 wpeterso is an unknown quantity at this point wpeterso's Avatar

Yes | No

Alarm goes off on unlock

I have a 98 528i that has had some weird electrical issues. Currently when I lock the car with the remote or key the alarm goes off when opened...only after it sits for some period of time. If I lock it with the remote and then immediately unlock it it works fine. Does this indicate some sensor is bad?'97 M3 Bright Red

Registered Member
    Member No: 92707 540sport is on a distinguished road 540sport's Avatar

Yes | No

Usually means the battery is dead

The alarm goes off if the voltage is low. Check the battery, charge it, check it again.
    Vin
    98 540 Sport with everything & extra hots
    BMW CCA, Boston Chapter
    "The 540 is the head-case supermodel girlfriend..." Eric S.
    "The worst thing you could do with your money is save it." ~ Jackie Gleason
    If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. Mario Andretti
    The United States is a nation of laws: poorly written and randomly enforced. - Frank Zappa

jimcash

Yes | No

Re: Alarm goes off on unlock

I agree with the other - it is probably that your main battery is low and is not fully charging the battery in the alarm unit.

Or the alarm unit itself is defective.

Is you main battery voltage holding above 12.4 after the car has been asleep for several hours?

Cheers
    Jim Cash

Registered Member
    Member No: 81817 wpeterso is an unknown quantity at this point wpeterso's Avatar

Yes | No

Good question. Will check that. I read that the siren unit has a rechargeable battery. I assume you guys mean the car battery which is easy to check. May explain other squirelly electrical issues too (airbag light, etc.)'97 M3 Bright Red, '98 528i Black

Registered Member
    Member No: 84289 GHueser is an unknown quantity at this point GHueser's Avatar

Yes | No

Just a longshot, but you may also want to check your Hood Switch for the alarm system. Disconnect it and see if the alarm still acts up. If all is well,(alarm is quiet),then you need a new switch.

Registered Member

Yes | No

I disconnected it Sunday with no joy. I also clicked the lock button twice to disengage the motion and tilt sensors...no joy. Haven't had a chance to check the car battery volatge.'97 M3 Bright Red, '98 528i Black

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information