+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 164502 RonaldH is an unknown quantity at this point RonaldH's Avatar

Yes | No

Reviving the Discomfort Seat (for DIYs)

BMW sells the molded foam pad inserts for the seat and backrest of your Standard (or as I call them "Discomfort") seats. These seats need help after about 8 years, unlike my son's M3 sport seats which are still unbelievably comfortable after 15 years!

You can buy the foam inserts at BMW.

Check on line for real wholesale prices for DIYs at http://www.partswebsite.com/bmwnewport/

Backrest is 52-108-261-078
    Seat pad is 52-108-242-779

Both delivered for about $350. I've done the seat cushion and it's a world of difference in my 1999 528i. Backrest pad is on order.

I don't have time right now to give instructions, but here are two tips.

1. Disconnect the battery before disconnecting any wires from your seat bottom otherwise you may set off the dreaded airbag light which you need equipment to turn off. Do not reattach the battery until all connectors are mated.
    2. Use 8" tie wraps in place of the metal hog rings in the seat.

Best,
    Ron
    1999 528i
    156,000 miles

Registered Member
    Member No: 108840 AussieBob is on a distinguished road AussieBob's Avatar

Yes | No

I re-foamed my discomfort seats

I puchased a sheet of 6-8mm foam and cut layered pieces to size to give additional side blustering, thigh support and fix the wallet dented right hand side of the seat bottom from the original owner.

My seat is now a custom seat that is very very comfortable, supports my legs and I stopped getting the bent back pain. I did it a few years ago (probably 6-7 years) and the seat is still perfect. Still haven't done the passenger seat but I don't use that one.

But yeah my '94 M3 coupe Vader seats are the best and fully original. The ameretta suede cloth still looks and feels brand new as it's a man-made fibre. I want to get alcantara seating if I get a new BMW but it seems to be not available anymore in the Australian BMWs. But I do know the importer motor trimmer who imports the cloth.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information