+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 23375 Gans will become famous soon enough Gans's Avatar

Yes | No

sqw. why drill hole in thermostat?

Jay Gans 2000 528 MT Non-sport.Titanium Silver, Grey Leather. Premium Package, Cold Weather, Fold down seats. Oct 99 production.ash try mod so not bone stock. CD changer. Garmin C510 Nav..Honda CH150D scooter

Inner Circle Member Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 21320
    Inner Circle ©155 since: Jul 21, 2003 edjack will become famous soon enough edjack's Avatar

Yes | No

Esp for the six, a few have found >>

that it aids in bleeding the cooling system.
    Ed in San Jose. BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319). Golden Gate Chapter. '97 540i 6 speed. Build Date 3/97. Aspensilber over Aubergine leather.

Registered Member
    Member No: 4328 jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev's Avatar

Yes | No

And a slower heat up time is better 4 the engine(m

Maybe not for the occupants that desire almost instant heat.

Euro, I see your t-stat says 92C, wonder if that one would fit in my housing. I don't care about slightly lower emissions because the engine is running at a higher temp, I'm more concerned about the pressure developed by running in the 108-110C range and popping another radiator hose 200 miles from home.

Ed CT

Yes | No

Jim-I saved my old failed tstat if you want it...

You can see if it's the same OD and profile as your current. (assuming, of course, you also have saved an old one to compare!)

Registered Member
    Member No: 4328 jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev's Avatar

Yes | No

Ed, thanks, I just looked at my old t-stat (m)

to take some measurements from to see if yours might fit. Guess I forgot it was integrated into the heater assy and not a seperate removable part. It was a good idea for all of a few hours.
    Wayne Carini called me back today, ~$5k to get the old Jag driveable, all else (body work, paint, interior) is extra. He would need to have the car to price the rest.
    Thanks anyways.

Eurodavid

Yes | No

wow, that thing looks intricate & exxxxpensive ;-0

if you need my old I6 one for any other reason, just give a holler. I know it is out their in the old parts crate, just have to dig it out.

Eurodavid

Ed CT

Yes | No

That t-stat is quite different from the I6's LOL

It looks like the actual thermo-mechanism is different, too. The I6's is your basic t-stat that looks like it could also work in a Rambler American.

So, Wayne says the price to have a driveable '54 Jag is about $5000? Not too bad, if all you want to do is drive it on weekends. Maybe the body work can be done at home, in the garage, a little at a time, while the car gets to be driven for fun.

Registered Member
    Member No: 25422 larrychew is an unknown quantity at this point larrychew's Avatar

Yes | No

Trust the Germans to make it complicated...

must be the Black Forest cuckoo clock heritage. Elegant engineering is when you can make a design one component to provide two (or three) functions with a simple, elegant design.

Inner Circle Member Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 21320
    Inner Circle ©155 since: Jul 21, 2003 edjack will become famous soon enough edjack's Avatar

Yes | No

The radiator cap controls cooling system pressure.

Ed in San Jose. BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319). Golden Gate Chapter. '97 540i 6 speed. Build Date 3/97. Aspensilber over Aubergine leather.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Not to sure about that, the cap vents when (m)

the pressure get too high. The lower the coolant temp the lower the pressure.

Eurodavid

Yes | No

+1...

imho, it truly does helps the bleed process. Plus, as Ed CT mentioned, if your thermostat ever fails in the shut position, at least a little something will be squirting through (though probably not enough to matter, lol). Another thing, you might notice the car takes a tad bit longer to warm up in the morning. Quite a few vehicle mftrs today have drilled small holes for their vehicles thermostat, from what I understand.

In no way is it required, though ;-)

Eurodavid

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information