+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 94415 jayb is on a distinguished road jayb's Avatar

Yes | No

Walmart Moble 1 0w30 instead of 0w40

Just visited my local Walmart and saw mobil 1 0W30 oil in 5 quart container at $25. At $5 a quart that is about $3 less than what I was paying for individual quarts of 0W40. Big savings. I am figuring that it is just as good, especially for winter use. I also noted that the container actually had Walmart's name on it, even though it is Mobil 1. I do not know what is with the green cap instead of the normal gray cap. Nothing on the container would indicate it is not appropriate for the E46. I would have liked to buy the 5 quart container at $25-- 0W40 Mobil 1 but they do not have it.
    Anyone have experience with the Mobil 1. From my research, it should be okay for summer also in the mid-alantic area.

Registered Member
    Member No: 19448 dembooks is an unknown quantity at this point dembooks's Avatar

Yes | No

ACEA A3B3 - Mobil 1 0w30? instead of 0w40?

your looking for BMW's rec. spec which is " A3B3 "

MOBIL 1 0W-30 is not

MOBIL 1 0W040 is A3B3

and of course BMW Synthetic (Castrol) 5W-30 is A3B3

you'll be alright for artic climate condition with the Mobil 1 0W-30
    if it's changed every 6-months or 6,000 miles which ever happens first

Registered Member
    Member No: 93023 Stinger9 is on a distinguished road Stinger9's Avatar

Yes | No

Exactly correct, the ACEA A3B3 rating

mostly indicates additives that make the oil suitable for long service life. Like 15,000 mile BMW service.
    So many of us change with greater frequency, and thus are able to economize without ill consequence using a lesser rated oil such as the bargain MOBIL 1 0W-30 you discovered.

Registered Member
    Member No: 69301 oc330cic is an unknown quantity at this point oc330cic's Avatar

Yes | No

It probably won't last to 15K miles

I'll echo what c.d.iesel and Stinger said. The viscosity ought to be fine, but without the proper ACEA A3/B3 rating, I definitely wouldn't go 15K miles before your next oil change. Of course, I wouldn't do that with BMW's oil either. That interval was driven more by marketing that solid engineering, in my opinion. But oil without the proper lifetime rating will be even shorter lived.

Once the oil starts to break down, you'll not only have increased wear, but you could suffer sludge related damage with much more immediate consequences. Fouled oil level sensors and VANOS units are not uncommon, and I'd bet my hat those occurrences are related to 15K miles or longer oil change intervals.

Registered Member
    Member No: 59809 jsk977 is an unknown quantity at this point jsk977's Avatar

Yes | No

Remember this..

Just because an oil is not rated A3B3 it doesn't mean that it does not have the same additive package. In many cases the manufacturer has made an economic decision not to go through the expensive rating protocol for an oil type who's market doesn't require that rating. They put their resources into complying with SAE testing for the North American market. Lets face it, BMW, Audi, etc, and most other European cars sold in the US are not high volume cars. They can do very nicely supplying American and Asian cars. The issue has always been the auto manufactures using it as a crutch to deny warranty claims.

Registered Member
    Member No: 94415 jayb is on a distinguished road jayb's Avatar

Yes | No

BASED ON YOUR FEEDBACK i AM THINKING

that I should return the 10W30. True I no not wait 15k to change oil, and normally change it between 4k to 5k. But I am also thinking that if I had to take a run down south where the temp is averaging over 90 degrees, I would not want that oil in the car. Lastly, if anything went wrong with the engine--even if it is not oil related, I would always suspect it is the oil I use. Need to go back to Mobil 1 0W40. Wonder why Walmart does not carry that anymore?

Registered Member

Yes | No

Please tell me which ones have the additives, and

which ones don't?
    I don't disagree with all you say above, but what practical value does that have for us? Gonna risk it?

Registered Member

Yes | No

It's just my opinion, but with the additives not

as critical due to your very frequent oil changes, I'd be more inclined to think it important to follow the BMW weight requirement of 5W-30. The cold start weight of 5W gets the oil everywhere immediately, and the 30W viscosity at normal operating temperatures allows the free flow thru all those tight clearances everyone always refers to.
    Of course we could go on and on with the philosophy of oil. I've also read that the lower viscosity specs are chosen to get better mpg ratings. Perhaps there is no practical downside to the 40W.

Registered Member
    Member No: 19448 dembooks is an unknown quantity at this point dembooks's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: BASED ON YOUR FEEDBACK i AM THINKING

DON't WORRY IF YOUR CHANGING it at those mile
    intervals
    the 10w might cause some sluggishness cold
    start/warm-up up North
    but for the South 30 or 40 is ok

again - for changing it at under 5k miles
    your ok

the oil filter is also subject to 'cracking' and
    turning brittle from 6-12 month exposure
    so use a BMW filter to be protected by the correct
    filtering medium - change in 6-months or 4k miles
    and 'any' filter will do

Registered Member
    Member No: 145586 floydarogers is an unknown quantity at this point floydarogers's Avatar

Yes | No

ACEA A5/B5

ACEA A5/B5 is the non-long-life standard. If the 10w-30 meets that (I think it does - check the bottles), no worries if you're going to change before 7500 miles.

Registered Member
    Member No: 16070 BlueMW is an unknown quantity at this point BlueMW's Avatar

Yes | No

After reading all the info and links on oil......

I just brought 6 qts of Mobil1 0-40 synthetic and comparing the labels of Mobil1 5-30 and 0-40. The 0-40 is labeled with not only A3, B3/B4 but with “BMW Longlife Oil 01” (the 5-30 does not have this on the label).

Here’s my opinion:
    0-40 is “Recommended” by BMW for the 15K interval because of the make up of the oil and additives (It is questionable if this oil is effective after 10K). But if you are not going to drive your car to 100K plus and you are sensitive to the $$$$ factor then at least play it safe and use the 0-40, and change it at the set 15K interval.

5-30 will work if you change it every 3-5K. But there is some questions about its viscosity (it maybe slightly thin).

I have 70K on my engine (330cic) and have been using 5-30 for the last 16K of engine miles (BMW 5-30 before that) and have been changing the oil at 8-10K. I have been experiencing a little increase in oil consumption since switching to Mobil1 5-30, so I’m switching to the thicker 0-40 to compensate for engine wear (piston rings and cylinder walls start to wear as the engine ages,the space between them increases, thicker oil can't leak through as easily).

BTW: Mobil 1 5-30 costs $35 for 6 qts at costco. I just brought 0-40 at amazon.com for $50 with shipping (came in 3 days).

Registered Member

Yes | No

yer LOW- rear wheel drive models = 7 Quarts !

4-wheel drive "X " models = 8 Quarts of oil
    during oil & filter changes

Registered Member

Yes | No

Where do you ever find BMW recommending

other than 5W-30 oil; all they ever supply themselves is the BMW Castrol 5W-30. Says so right on my oil cap!
    I broke in my car meticulously despite being on the Autobahn, have 77K miles on my engine now, and never burn enough to require extra additions between changes at around 8K miles. So it it possible.

And do pick up that extra quart of oil before you step out to do your next change. My car has never failed to take the full seven quarts when the oil and filter are done.

jayb

Yes | No

Lesson learned

I thank all for your good feedback. I also spent some time calling up past discussions on this topic. Bottom line--I going to stick with the Mobil 1 0W40. The Mobil 1 0W30 goes back to the store. Yes, I understand that with the schedule that I follow of changing oil every 4k to 5k it probably will not make a difference--but why compromise when in the past I have always used 0W40. Just want to know when I am driving that I used nothing but the best. And I do not want to worry just in case I want to run down to the tropics --that I might have a slightly ligher weight oil.

Registered Member
    Member No: 16070 BlueMW is an unknown quantity at this point BlueMW's Avatar

Yes | No

What Im saying .....

is if you are going to use Mobil 1 instead of the BMW 5-30, use the Mobil 1 0-40 it at least has the BMW LL (LongLife) rating.

jayb

Yes | No

YES--GOING TO Mobil 1 0-40 the same I used prior.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information