+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 42909 gr8x5 is an unknown quantity at this point gr8x5's Avatar

Yes | No

rear light replacement trunklid...

I have a 2002 x5 3.O. How do I access the the rear lights on the trunklid. The seem to be out..and need to replace the bulb...
    I have the check rear lights message....

Robert Platt Bell

Yes | No

Not sure what you mean

The taillights are in the side of the car (turn, running, brake) and can be accessed through the cargo compartments.

The backup lights are on the trunk lid, the rest is just reflector.

The inside panel comes off on snap clips - and it can be hard to take off without breaking. See link below.

The license plate light is on an eyebrow fitting that also houses the tailgate release button. It is not well attached - resist the urge to use it as "handle" to close your hatch lid. It will fall off if you do, over time.

Also, the license plate lights will accumulate dirt and debris, and expect the switch to go south, eventually.

The link below might be of help. When I got my car at 50K miles, I took this all apart and "sorted it" and it hasn't given me much trouble since.

Good luck!

Robert Platt Bell

Yes | No

Torx bolts

If it is your backup lights, the bottom interior trim piece does have torx bolts in the "handle" portion - see the photo link in my previous posting.

Registered Member
    Member No: 96604 XZ-Driver is an unknown quantity at this point XZ-Driver's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: rear light replacement trunklid...

If you are implying about the interior lights on the trunk lid, the light just snaps out and there is a metal cover that slides via the arrow to expost the light bulb. Take a flat edge screwdriver and slide it on the outside of the light fixture to pry it out. It should just pop out. The inside of the fixture has the connector so make sure you pry if out from the outside.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information