I haven't been terribly active on this board, but I want to leave a note as my 3 year relationship with the E92 335xi comes to a close. At the end of the lease, the car is going back to BMW and I won't be getting another BMW to replace it.
This is not a rant - I have no bone to pick with BMW. The 335xi has been a great car - it may the perfect NEW car, with 4-wheel drive, luxury and good fuel mileage. But I just don't believe this car can become a great OLD car. The prospect of long-term maintenance on this vehicle is intimidating.
Item: failed adaptive headlight while on a trip. Car was with a BMW dealer in Dallas for TWO DAYS and they could not "program" the replacement part to work in the car. Did you know that the front bumper has to come off to do this job?
Item: "service engine soon" light on. After taking a day off to drive out to the dealer the diagnosis was: nothing wrong. It can happen when the car shuts off the clock to save power and screws up one of its many internal check programs. Of course, only the dealer can reset the fault light on the dash.
I will have to work on the car myself when the warranty ends, and that just doesn't seem possible. The nearest dealer is 40 miles away - if I had a dealer in town, I might feel differently.

Bottom line: BMW's used to be fun to drive and fun to own. They are still fun to drive, but in my opinion they are no longer fun to own. If the car can't be away from the mothership for simple repairs (or even a flat tire!), then I can't keep it in my life.

Thankfully I still have my 1993 850Ci, and believe it or not I DO enjoy taking care of it. It isn't EASY to work on, but it is still POSSIBLE to work on. I expect it to reach 200,000 miles!

My new daily driver will be a rear drive 2+2 coupe, with a 6 cylinder normally aspirated engine producing 304HP and a 6-speed manual gear box. Zero to 60 in 5.8 sec. Limited slip differential (mechanical type). Weighs 3931 lbs. 54/46 front/rear weight distribution, performance brakes and suspension, 19 inch wheels. 21 mpg estimated mileage. The specs sound good (like a BMW?), but it's a new (2011) American car so we'll see. I don't expect the quality to be better than BMW, but at least there is a dealer in my home town.

Be well, everybody!
Mark

Mark W in mid-MO
2008 335xi coupe
1993 850Ci 6-speed

2 turbos ..................or 12 cylinders, no waiting!