+ Reply to Thread
    Eurodavid

Yes | No

JimLev or anyone, is this thing from HFT any good?

$99 Flux Welder

I always find myself, once or twice a year, wishing I could weld something that I am working on (or wanting to make a homegrown tool or two, like you do). Do you have something like this, or is a flux welder setup like this just really crap compared to TIG welding? I mean, is there a reasonable TIG welding (like this HFT flux welder) setup I can get? I know so dang little about welding (other than getting a cool welding helmet ;-D)

Eurodavid

Eurodavid

Yes | No

here's the other welding setups HFT offers:

other welding setups from HFT

Thanks for any advice and/or feedback!

Eurodavid

BigRickMc50

Yes | No

Re: here's the other welding setups HFT offers:

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Euro!

I'm not personally familiar with this particular welder, but the biggest caution I would point out is the duty cycle. At the higher amperage settings, for every minute spent welding, the unit has to rest for three minutes to cool off. Failure to do so reduces the life of the unit.

Many years ago, I took classes in both arc and oxy/acetylene welding at the local junior college. I can tell you that it takes a lot of practice, practice, and more practice to become a decent weldor (especially if you weld any metals other than steel). Usually, it's far cheaper (and stronger) to pay a professional to do any welding, but if you want to do it just for fun, go for it.

Bimmer5Michael

Yes | No

Been looking at welders myself and what my welding

teacher has warned me against are as follows

to be widely useable the amps should be between 30 and 120 amps
    80-110 amps would be ok for larger materials like frames and other heavier metals but not too thick but would not be acceptable for welding sheetmetal or other thin metal.

So if you are looking at repairs to the garden tractopr frame, some other medium weight metals it will work great.

I also want 120 volt instead of 240 but want a wider use.

Michael
    00 540 sport 6 speed

Registered Member
    Member No: 4328 jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev's Avatar

Yes | No

The one I used for the axle puller I sent you was(

a big buck MIG welder with a gas shield. It was a much better welder than this $99 unit, however most of the skill in using it is in the person welding. A good machine in an unskilled hand produces crappy welds.
    The axle puller I did for you wasn't exactly what I would call a piece of art, but it did the job. I'm still learning. I have an Oxy/Acetylene torch that I can weld a bit better with, but not much.
    If you know someone that really knows how to weld have them give you a few pointers. It's like riding a bike, once you know what you are doing you'll be fine.
    Reading the reviews the people seemed to think it was a good unit.

Registered Member
    Member No: 168887 fritracer is on a distinguished road fritracer's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: JimLev or anyone, is this thing from HFT any good?

I have a cheap flux core mig welder at home that I use for light duty stuff. It works ok, but IMO, gas shielded welding works much better with the cheap mig welders availible. When I was in Iraq, I used a very large Lincoln 240 volt flux core mig welder; man, now that thing would lay down some superb beads; of course it was about a $10,000 welder.Fritracer
    Cincinnati, OH
    2000 540ia Sport Package 9/99 Silver/Black
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 420 stroker w/6 Pak 430 HP,
    510 lbft torque

Registered Member
    Member No: 4328 jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev's Avatar

Yes | No

Yes. LOTS of practice. Euro, the $99 one is on (m)

sale for $89 (lot no. 98871) in the Dec flyer I got.
    And then there is the never ending 20% off coupons that you can use for the other welders not on sale. Maybe you should think about getting one a bit better unless you just want to play around with it.

Registered Member
    Member No: 101557 juststeve will become famous soon enough juststeve's Avatar

Yes | No

I own the Miller version about the same size

It has a gas bottle attachment in addition to being a flux wire welder. I think it was $400-500 new 10 years ago. Name brand units tend to be capable of being used continuous vs intermittent. You may find an outlet upgrade is required to get a $100-200 unit to run for more than 5 mins at a time. Many times a standard 15 amp-110volt circuit will not cut it. Some local codes (in the US anyway) are now moving toward 20 amp outlets in garages.

Eurodavid

Yes | No

Re: Yes. LOTS of practice. Euro, the $99 one is on (m)

Jim,

I am thinking of getting a higher grade one, $200-$250, given what you all commented on. Lords knows I have lots of grades of steel parts, bicycles, etc lying around that I can practice on. Will probably wait to make a decision until I get back to Georgia this coming summer. Then I can drive to one of the local HFTs around Atlanta, and look more closely.

HFT is insane with their low prices in that I can never walk out of there with just one thing. Darn good thing I can only check two suitcases on int'l flights, otherwise the airline wouldn't know what hit them as HFT would be flowing through the terminal ;-)

Eurodavid

Eurodavid

Yes | No

Rick,

I hear ya about the practice thing. I think no matter how much I practiced, I wouldn't be too good with a welding device in my hand (just a feeling I have, lol). I know I'd never trust myself to do anything important, and definitely would take it to a pro welder. I was just thinking of maybe those rare times when I am working on the car and/or house that some harebrain idea comes to my mind about a simple tool made of some steel (that I have lying around). Thus, I would give it a shot I had a way to weld it. The only thing I remember about welding from being a kid, was we used to fill those big sausage balloons with whatever was in my friend Mark's Dad welding rig (from just one of the tanks), then we'd put long fuses on them, light them, and run like hell. The resulting boom shockwave damn near knocked us down from behind while we were in full sprint mode. Another one of those things you shake your head about in old age and wonder just why you are still around.

Hope your holidays was good and the New Year is even better!

Eurodavid

BigRickMc50

Yes | No

To demonstrate the power of an oxy/acetylene explosion, my oxy/acetylene welding instructor would set the valves to get the perfect color flame (the correct oxy to acet ratio), then dunk the nozzle in water, then put just a smidge of gas in a balloon (about the volume of your pinkie finger from the base of the fingernail to the tip of the pinkie) tie it off then light it from a distance.

It wasn't a huge explosion, but it sounded like a gunshot in the welding lab. Extrapolating the amount of acetylene in those tall gas cylinders, in comparison to the miniscuie amount of gas in that demonstration, made me respect the power in those tanks.

Everytime I see a truck going down the road carrying cylinders with the gas regulators still attached to the tanks and the protective caps not in place, I get far away, and quickly.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information