+ Reply to Thread
    Griffin69

Yes | No

Squeaky noise until almost warm

Happy Holidays!

Here is my story:

Had some furniture delivered and temporarily stored in the garage to prep the room for its setup. This meant to keep my car outside over night in frosty conditions (upper 20's).

Well - the next day I needed to run a chore so I went to start the car - temps were still in the upper 20's. The car started right away. However while I was scraping off the ice I heard (for the lack of a better word) a "squeaky" noise coming from the engine bay. It sounded almost like an old belt that needed to be replaced (had ALL of the belts replaced 2 years ago). Car has now 98K miles on it.

Never heard this noise when the car was garaged (temps inside in the mid 50's).

Once the car warmed up over a 1/4 of a way the noise went away.

Was this a fluke or am I in for surprise?

Any thoughts?

Thx!

Eurodavid

Yes | No

a pulley needs re-packed with new grease, most

likely. When the belts were re-done, were all the pulleys replaced and/or cleaned & repacked with new grease? Hopefully, it is not a bearing in the alternator and/or a/c compressor, which would mean you've got some work ahead of you or some big bucks to spend at an indie/dealer.

Go to RealOEM.com, input your car's last 7 Vin digits, then look in the diagrams for the all the pulleys you need to be aware of, and start from there. Removing the belts, and the pulleys, is super easy, as is cleaning & repacking the bearings in the pulleys.

Always eliminate the low hanging fruit first ;-)

Eurodavid

Griffin69

Yes | No

Re: a pulley needs re-packed with new grease, most

Eurodavid,

I appreciate the pointers. To my knowledge all belts were replaced, not sure about the pulleys, new alternator put in a couple of months ago, A/C compressor still the original one.
    Makes sense to me - will check the diagram on RealOEM.com and go from there.

BigRickMc50

Yes | No

Re: a pulley needs re-packed with new grease, most

While you've got the belt off, turn all of the pulleys by hand. If you spin them quickly, you may be able to hear a problem bearing. Alternatively, you'll be able to feel any roughness in the bearings as you turn them.

My stepson's Saturn was making a noise, and he was about to replace the tensioner pulley when I asked him how he knew that it was the source of the problem. He responded by saying that the Internet site he was following said that it was the tensioner, and that was that. I then spun all of the pulleys (tensioner, idler, A/C, P/S, Alt.) and proved to him that the A/C clutch bearing was the problem.

Registered Member
    Member No: 136797 cmybimmergo is an unknown quantity at this point cmybimmergo's Avatar

Yes | No

I had this a few years ago...

I want to say that it was shortly after I had the idler pulley and tensioners replaced, but I can't remember exactly and I have no memory of doing anything besides asking my indie about it. I ultimately forgot about it cuz it stopped happening (when the weather warmed up?). Point is if it had been significant I would have a better memory of it.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information