+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 15699 gmarch is an unknown quantity at this point gmarch's Avatar

Yes | No

2007 X3 with grumbling from rear

I got in my wife's 2007 X3 auto 6 today after not having driven it for a while, and it's making a nasty grumbling noise from what sounds like either the transmission, center or rear end differential. It happens in that sort of gray area between gears, especially in traffic when coasting.

In addition, if I accelerate hard, there is a clunking noise that you can feel as the truck accelerates. This happens as the RPMs rise, not during shifting.

Of course, I can't reproduce it on command, although with the frequency it was happening today, I'm hoping that it won't be an issue getting the service person to hear it. We did bring it in once before for this, but couldn't reproduce it (and it wasn't happening anywhere near as much as it was today), so they didn't do anything about it.

We're bringing it in to BMW tomorrow. I'd like to go in with some possible causes before I leave it in their hands. Does anyone have any ideas they could share?

Thanks...

///greg

Registered Member
    Member No: 50104 PimpSled is an unknown quantity at this point PimpSled's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: 2007 X3 with grumbling from rear

That sucks. My experience with a blown rear dif is a hum that increases in volume with speed regardless of what gear you are in.

My clunking noises were failure to torque the rear rims which made for an interesting ride.

Good luck and I hope it is minor.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information