+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 115243 deputer is on a distinguished road deputer's Avatar

Yes | No

Life with the 540 is good again after lots of $$

Coming up on 90k miles, I decided it was time to fix all the little stuff that goes haywire with the 540 engine as well as other E39 issues.

First off, the damn front control arm bushings were making the car unbearable to drive, shaking from 45-60MPH. I had read that a good upgrade was the X5 bushings, so I got a pair of those.

Next was to fix the valley pan gasket and all O rings I could find, replace the rear PVC unit, replace valve cover gaskets, replace all the hoses that had not been replaced in the last couple of years, replace the water pump, thermostat and coolant, install the newly powder coated set of spare valve covers, change the oil/filter, replace all 4 O2 sensors, cabin air filters, and regular air filter.

I amassed all the parts and got the V/Cs powder coated. That was in July. At that time, I got a company car so I figured that I would get to the 540 when time permitted. All of a sudden, it was almost Christmas time!!!!! As luck would have it, I ran across a BMW dealership mechanic and we worked out a deal. He took the car for a week, and bam, it is damn near perfect again and I did not have to lift a finger (well I had to lift out the wallet). Cost me $600 plus all the parts to do all but the O2 sensors which I will do tomorrow night.

Got the car back tonight, and it drives great and seems to run a bit better. Hope the O2 sensors pick me up a bit of mileage, but I have not had any issues with codes so I am not hopeful.

I do feel great hitting 90K miles and knowing that I have addressed most of the known issues that the E39 540 has and that the car feels smooth again. Look forward to driving it more and not thinking about having to do any major engine stuff for a while if I am lucky.
    2002 540 6 speed, Steel Blue/Black interior, totally loaded with every option, and now with built in Stealth One/Valentine 1. 18" Staggared Privat wheels. I am loving the power again!

2003 525iT, Silver/Black, non-sport, 18" Staggered BBS RC wheels. T boned and traded away.

2000 540 6 speed, Biarritz Blue/Sand, M5 shifter, XM Radio Valentine One/Stealth One hardwired in, 17" style 5 wheels
    Sold but never fogotten.

2001 525i, stock, sold

[IMG]][IMG]

Registered Member
    Member No: 152819 zackkcaz is an unknown quantity at this point zackkcaz's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Life with the 540 is good again after lots of $$

Any other front end work done yet? tie rods will be next to go, and cooling system? fuel filter?

2000 540i auto 89,xxx miles. Anthricite gray ext/black int.

Registered Member
    Member No: 115243 deputer is on a distinguished road deputer's Avatar

Yes | No

Full cooling system replaced over last 30k miles..

Thanks for the heads up on the tie rod ends. I will probably go in and replace some items this winter just for PM reasons. I will look into fuel filter issues. Thanks. Looks like you are 1,000 miles ahead of me.
    2002 540 6 speed, Steel Blue/Black interior, totally loaded with every option, and now with built in Stealth One/Valentine 1. 18" Staggared Privat wheels. I am loving the power again!

2003 525iT, Silver/Black, non-sport, 18" Staggered BBS RC wheels. T boned and traded away.

2000 540 6 speed, Biarritz Blue/Sand, M5 shifter, XM Radio Valentine One/Stealth One hardwired in, 17" style 5 wheels
    Sold but never fogotten.

2001 525i, stock, sold

[IMG]][IMG]

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information