+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 105202 Bimmer1992 is an unknown quantity at this point Bimmer1992's Avatar

Yes | No

Clutch went 2 floor

I have a 92 bmw 325i sedan 5 speed. a couple of weeks ago i went 2 move out of the garage and the clutch went 2 the floor. Its not stuck because you can pull it back up n pops back up. The car starts and can be put in gear. I was on realOEM.com and see a diagram for the clutch pedal and seen that there is a spring at the very top called a return spring. When i called a local german car shop to see if they had the part the guy said something about hydrualics??? To me it seems like its just the "return spring" but where does it attach to on the other end that this diagram does not show???Any ideas????? Thanks! Happy New Year!!!

07 335i coupe
    02 330xi sedan
    92 325i sedan

Registered Member
    Member No: 17062 JKRIT is on a distinguished road JKRIT's Avatar

Yes | No

Check for fluid leaks

and/or try purging the hydraulic line to the slave cylinder. What you describe is common after flushing fluid by pumping the clutch pedal (as opposed to a pressurized bleeder system), but the pedal action typically comes back after you work the pedal a few times. In your case, since you weren't bleeding the system, you probably have a hydraulic problem rather than a broken pedal return spring.
    '03 525i Sapphire Blu/Grey, SP, Nav
    '02 325it Orient Blu./Grey, SP, Nav
    '98 323is Arctic Sil./Blk, SP
    '95 M3 Cosmos Blk./Blk

Registered Member
    Member No: 105202 Bimmer1992 is an unknown quantity at this point Bimmer1992's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Check for fluid leaks

Thanks for your help. I have done alot of work on this 92 but i know nothing about the hydraulics. Looks like im going to have 2 put alot of money into it before i sell it : (Dustin
    Indiana
    '07 335i Coupe 6-speed
    '92 325i 5 Speed

Registered Member
    Member No: 17062 JKRIT is on a distinguished road JKRIT's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Check for fluid leaks

Could be one of the cylinders (clutch master or slave) has gone bad. Not a terribly expensive job. I think some folks neglect to flush the clutch system when doing on the brakes, and the seals can't handle the rusted cylinder bores. Just bled tons of rust flakes and air bubbles from our M3's clutch line last week. Prev. owner probably never had it done.
    '03 525i Sapphire Blu/Grey, SP, Nav
    '02 325it Orient Blu./Grey, SP, Nav
    '98 323is Arctic Sil./Blk, SP
    '95 M3 Cosmos Blk./Blk

Registered Member
    Member No: 35540 TCACEK is an unknown quantity at this point TCACEK's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Clutch went 2 floor

If it is not the slave cylinder then it very well could be the return spring. The return spring should have an inner part. this part attaches to the clutch pedal on both ends. I would suspect perhaps this inner part is broken. I have done this very fix on anothe bmw model. Please provide link to realoem for your car and I will take a further look.

Registered Member

Yes | No

On second thought

The return spring is in the clutch cylinder. It is covered by a black rubber boot. Your clutch or slave cylinder is bad. PTA to change out but doable. It is hard to tell which cylinder is bad. As luck has it, it is usually the other one than the one you replaced first.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Clutch went 2 floor

Thanks, here it is.

Dustin
    Indiana
    '07 335i Coupe 6-speed
    '92 325i 5 Speed

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: On second thought

Where are the slave and master hydraulic cylindars located at?Dustin
    Indiana
    '07 335i Coupe 6-speed
    '92 325i 5 Speed

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: On second thought

So sorry for delay. Master is connected to brake pedal. That is what you push in when you step on the brake. Protrudes through fire wall. PTA to get in and out. Slave is connected to transmission. Follow brake line from engine compartment from master to slave. Bently manual shows all.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information