+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 33241 Nelsonbimmer is an unknown quantity at this point Nelsonbimmer's Avatar

Yes | No

Powder coated valve cover pics?

I have searched threads of the past to see photographs of powder coated valve covers but none of them appear.

Does anyone have new photographs they can share? I am removing the VC's tomorrow and want to send them to be powder coated.

How does the PC hold up over time? Will I be doing this again in another year?

Thanks,

David

Registered Member
    Member No: 4328 jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev's Avatar

Yes | No

Powdercoating is more durable than paint, however(

When you PC magnesium you have to be sure they are very clean and dry before you PC them. They can outgas over time and cause the PC to bubble. Make sure there is no oil on the inside and let them bake at 350░F until they stop smoking. Let them cool and wash them down with Dawn or anything that will cut grease/oil. Then bake them again to outgas them a 2nd time. Now your ready for the powder.
    Mine have a few small bubbles in them, look near the + battery cap.

Registered Member
    Member No: 17983 horse325es is on a distinguished road horse325es's Avatar

Yes | No

What is that box with heatsinks next to ur abs?

Andreas
    Queens NY
    BMWCCA# 186796
    86 325es (wrecked by careless driver)
    87 325 (project for life)
    00 540is 6spd (daily driver)

Registered Member
    Member No: 4328 jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev's Avatar

Yes | No

Launch control module to receive OK from NASA (m

Just kidding, it's the PWM controller for my electric radiator fan. I took the plastic fan and it's clutch off a few years ago. I didn't like the jet engine sound on hot summer days when the AC was on.
    A thermistor in the radiator core will adjust the speed based on temp.

rwthomas1

Yes | No

Re: Launch control module to receive OK from NASA (m

Gotta ask, what electric fan and controller did you use? Does it work well? Even in summer heat? All alloy engine and all.... RT

Registered Member

Yes | No

Answers for both of you (m-long)

Euro, I don't think I'd run without a fan even though in 99.9% of the time it wouldn't be an issue. If you did get into a situation where you were in stop and go traffic and it was hot your Aux fan would kick in. The 0.1% time would be if your Aux fan failed and you then had no cooling, your engine would be toast. You could turn on your cabin heat, but that most likely wouldn't be enough. If you pulled over and shut the engine off you would be OK.
    As far as an electric fan goes with an I6 you would need a very slimline fan because your engine is longer than the V8.
    Now here's an interesting experiment for you to consider. Chop off a few blades of your plastic fan. This will make it quieter because there is less air flow. As long as you have blades that are opposite each other you can cut some off (4) and not effect the balance.
    If you do it let us know how it turns out.

RT, the cooling fan I used is a Flex-a-lite 116, it's 16" in diameter about 3.5" thick. I made brackets for it so I could mount it in the fan shroud with a filler plate so all of the airflow would be pulled thru the fan. I made a PWM speed controller with a settable min speed and a bypass switch just in case the electronics failed. I flip the switch and the fan runs at 1/2 speed. I've never had to use it.
    In the summer with the AC on its speed is usually 1/4 to 1/3 of max. It will pull 1450CFM at full speed.

Eurodavid

Yes | No

Re: Launch control module to receive OK from NASA (m

Jim,

Have a sort of a dumb question: a few weeks back when that thermostat housing blew on me, I had to take the fan clutch, fan and shroud off and still run the engine with the stuff off so that I could check the new housing for leaks.

What made me stop and kind of gawk at was then I started the car without this stuff on, and stood back about 10 ft from the car, the car was nearly dead quiet, like some sort of electric vehicle or something. Now, i know the fan clutch is not bad (it is new, and I tested it, plus the car sounds exactly the same with the old, OEM fan clutch (that is still good) I took out).

In my climate, with temps between 10F winters and about 75max in summers, do i even need this damn fan since I mainly only do autobahn driving, and I can't remember ever sitting in traffic over the past year? Or, even better, given how narrow the amount of room I have in front of my engine (compared to you V8 guys), could I rig an electric fan that I can control from the inside of the car??

Eurodavid

Registered Member
    Member No: 33241 Nelsonbimmer is an unknown quantity at this point Nelsonbimmer's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Powdercoating is more durable than paint, however(

JimLev...Thanks for the information.

Did you PC your own VC's? They look great. I'll have to take mine to a shop to have them chemically stripped (dipped?). The business I plan to take them to is "Advanced Powder Coating" in Portland Oregon. I'll give them a call before I head over to ensure they have the knowledge/know how to perform this task.

I noticed that the interior of my VC's were painted with whatever BMW used but was flaking. I do not plan to have the interiors PC'd but will any finish be required? Or will the raw magnesium be satisfactory?

It seems to me that the color/paint/powder coat is really for looks and nothing else?

Thank you again.

David

Registered Member

Yes | No

Yes, I did my own (m

Don't do the insides. When they are stripped the insides will get cleaned too. It's just for looks.

Registered Member
    Member No: 71563 kbud is on a distinguished road kbud's Avatar

Yes | No

Concours to Jim, - pts for bubbling :)

K-Bud ([email protected])
    Baltimore, MD
    Join the BMW E39 / 5 Series Group here: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=347966936053

99' BMW E39 540iA Sp. (Prod. 11/98)
    Titanium Silver/Black
    06' Range Rover HSE (Prod. 6/22/05)
    Giverny Green/Aspen-Aspen-Ivory
    04' Lexus GX470 (Prod. 10/03)
    Ash Blue Mica/Dark Gray

Roadfly Member #71563 est. 06/03
    BMWCCA Member #312125 est. 04/03

****Disclaimer: Down the page alot farther after all the absurd amount of pictures & vids I've posted of my current rides you'll find the "mods" for my BMW****

Lexus rf sig
    Da Boy's Ride

Mods to Date:
    DINAN Stage II, DINAN Tranny SW, DINAN Fr. Strut Bar, RevHigh CAI w/ PC'd Gunmetal Metallic Pipe, Breyton Fr. Lip Spoiler, Fr. Lip RaceMesh Grill 5/8" PC'd Black, Hella Celis Clear Rears, Clear Fronts, Clear Sides, 19" RDSport S4's w/ Gunmetal Metallic PC'd Centers 19x9 et18 Fr. & 19x10 et20 Rr., Toyo T1R's 245/35 Fr. & 275/30 Rr., Eisenmann Sport Quad Exhaust w/Resonator Removed, McGard Wheel Locks, Rolled Rr. Fenders, ///M5 Rr. Wheel Liners, H&R Sp. Springs, Koni Adj. Sp. Struts, Energy Suspension Polyurethane Bushings, ///M5 Fr. Brakes w/ SS Lines, Brembo Rr. Brakes w/SS Lines, Axxis Deluxe Brake Pads, ///M5 Fr. & Rr. Swaybars, ///M5 Kidney Grills, ///M5 Brushed Gauge Rings, 2.25" Magnaflow High Flow Cats, ///M-Tech Rr. Bumper, ///M5 Trunk Lip Spoiler, ///M5 Style Side Mirrors ,DDE Xenon Match Angel Eyes, Xenon Match H7 Fog Bulbs, AC Schnitzer Alum. Pedals, Denso Iridium Plugs, In-Dash Business CD Player, Blk. Metallic Int. Trim, Brushed Alum. & Blk. Lthr. Shift Selector Knob, 35% Window Tint, Homelink UGDO, Trunk Storage Bin, Carbon Fiber Roundels, Black ///M Logo Oil Cap, Fr. Plate Delete, Black BMW Rr. Tag Holder, & Debadged

User Level 8
    Member No: 21320 edjack will become famous soon enough edjack's Avatar

Yes | No

Here's a color idea>>

http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e39/9610199-1.html
    Ed in San Jose. BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319). Golden Gate Chapter. '97 540i 6 speed. Build Date 3/97. Aspensilber over Aubergine leather.

Bimmer5Michael

Yes | No

Very IMPORTANT

Make sure your powder coater does know how to coat magnesium and can give you references of the work he has done on Magnesium engine parts.
    It's not enough for them to say they have been in business for decades and understand the coating industry. LOOK at the pwork if possible of something that has been in service over some time. Also some of these valve covers are quite thin and aggressive "sand" blasting can destroy them. I have heard chemical stripping is better for the metal but does leave oils and moisture that must be baked out before the coating porocess

Don't even ask how I know to advise you on this.

New valve covers are 400+ not including gromets and gaskets with a discount....again don't ask!

Also care must be taken with threaded parts and other areas and I would not coat the inside period.

I am not a coater and know nothing about the process. I do have experience with a coating job gone wrong.

I would stick with the standard silver color or possibly black. Other colors look good but potential buyers may no0t appreciate youir creative inspiration.

Michael
    00 540 sport 6 speed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information