+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

rwthomas1

Yes | No

Idler pulleys and belt tensioners

Hello All,
    Recently working on the '00 540i I noticed that the Alt/WP/PS belt tensioner was sorta weak, not providing the tension I expected. I had the tensioner assembly off while working on the car and the idler bearings sound a bit dry too. What is the verdict for R&R these parts? I see the tensioner(s) are both available, I figure do the AC while I'm at it? Do the idler pulleys warrant replacement as well? I see a complete assembly for the alt/WP/PS but the AC I would need the tensioner AND the idler pulley....

Are the tensioners serviceable? I've worked on vehicles that simply disassembling the tensioner, cleaning it and lubing it would make it like new....

I'm inclined to replace the bad tensioner, sneak the grease needle into the idler bearing seals and call it a day. Unless the idlers are known timebombs...

RT

Registered Member
    Member No: 4328 jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev's Avatar

Yes | No

Never had the tensioners apart, an '00 has (m)

hydraulic tensioners. Pop the seals off both sides of the idler bearings, clean them out and see if they spin smooth. If they look OK repack them 1/2 full with some high temp grease and pop the seals back in.

rwthomas1

Yes | No

Re: Never had the tensioners apart, an '00 has (m)

Thanks, tensioners will be ordered. I have a grease needle, looks like a medical hypodermic on a zerk. Sneaks up under a grease seal, no disassembly required. Pump one shot of high temp synthetic and its off to the races. RT

BigRickMc50

Yes | No

Re: Never had the tensioners apart, an '00 has (m)

The problem with that course of action, is that you are leaving ten years worth of contaminants in the bearings. Yes, lubing the bearings is a good thing, but CLEANING then lubing would be so much better from a reliability point of view.

Registered Member
    Member No: 4328 jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev's Avatar

Yes | No

+1, it's so easy to do it correctly I always (m)

take them apart to clean out the old dried grease that looks like dried wax.

Craig in Canada

Yes | No

+1 - very easy, clean then grease

rwthomas1

Yes | No

Re: +1, it's so easy to do it correctly I always (m)

This may be a dumb question or admission but I have never had much luck getting the seal off bearings undamaged. Any tips on getting the seals off unmolested? RT

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information