+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Z3 Wheels

Registered Member
    Member No: 151817 mclass9 is an unknown quantity at this point mclass9's Avatar

Yes | No

Z3 Wheels

I have a 2001 Z3 3.0L, front tires are 225/45R-17 rear tires 255/40R-17. They have a 5-120MM bolt pattern. I am looking into snow tires, and I think I found a set, but I am not sure if they will fit. The wheels and tires come off of a 2001 530I size 225/55R-16 with the same 5-120MM bolt pattern. Is there anything I should worry about- ex. maybe the center hub size, or does anyone know if these will fit?

Inner Circle Member Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 28222
    Inner Circle ©162 since: Apr 24, 2003 MinnMark is an unknown quantity at this point MinnMark's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Z3 Wheels

Offset is important - and to my knowledge 5-series wheels do not fit 3-series.

If I recall correctly Z's (non-M's) are 41mm.

Where are you? I have a set of steelies with Michelin Arctic Alpins on them I'll give you for a most excellent price. Drove my car in MN winters for the last 10 years, but now it is winter-retired.

MinnMark
    '00 2.3 Oxford Green/Tan/Tan
    And yes, I drive my car in the snowy winter!

Registered Member
    Member No: 6581 jtp is an unknown quantity at this point jtp's Avatar

Yes | No

WHAT!?

You are parking the car in the winter now!? Oh, Mark, what is the world coming to? You were one of the last hard-core holdouts!

p.s. My car hugs me every spring when I take her out of storage. She enjoyed three winters, but tells me that she prefers a nice garage when the salt hits the roads.

JTP
    '00 Bright Red II, Black, Black 2.3

PERFORMANCE: Dinan Stage II suspension, Dinan strut tower brace, Porterfield R4S brake pads, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires, UNGO MS8300 alarm, Doug Whalen Seat Bushings, Sylvania Silverstar headlights and fog lights. MAINTENANCE: Peake Research R5/fcx-II and SRS Reset Tools, Mity-Vac oil evacuator w/ brake bleeder, BMW Battery Tender. COSMETICS: Dinan Badge, OEM chrome exhaust tips, Magnetic stone guards, Roundel valve stem caps, Trunk-mounted Dragon sticker, WI plates: RES IPSA. COMFORT: Premium Package, Heated sport seats, “Z3 Roadster” heated vest (for wife), In-dash CD, LeatherZ MarkII armrest, OEM mesh windscreen. CAR CARE: Porter Cable random orbit buffer, Meguiars car care products, NOAH car cover, Plexus, Raggtop. EXTRAS: Z3Solutions warning triangle.

My Home Page

Inner Circle ©162 since: Apr 24, 2003 MinnMark is an unknown quantity at this point MinnMark's Avatar

Yes | No

Yep

Combination of a lot of things brought me to this at last...

1) New suspension that lowered the car just a bit in the spring of 2009. Winter of 09-10 was really rough on the underside of the car.

2) Z had its 10th birthday March of 2010. 85K on the clock, still in top notch shape. Time to work to keep it that way.

3) The last of my kids went off to college,and took her car with her - leaving me with nothing to drive except the Z. Even with snow tires the Z couldn't always go out in the winter.

So over the summer I found myself an '01 325XI(E46) Orient Blue, gray leather, stick, sport package with 110K for $7500 down in Florida of all places. Put some Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires on her and I now have a most excellent winter car! Not to mention 4 doors and a trunk...

Guess I need to change my sig!
    MinnMark

Registered Member
    Member No: 6581 jtp is an unknown quantity at this point jtp's Avatar

Yes | No

#1 was a big one for me!

Buying the boat, which required a tow vehicle, gave me the option of not driving the Z. Once I had the Grand Cherokee, storing the Z became pretty obvious. But it was lowering the car, turning it into a snowplow for anything over about 3 inches of snow, that sealed the deal!

JTP
    '00 Bright Red II, Black, Black 2.3

PERFORMANCE: Dinan Stage II suspension, Dinan strut tower brace, Porterfield R4S brake pads, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires, UNGO MS8300 alarm, Doug Whalen Seat Bushings, Sylvania Silverstar headlights and fog lights. MAINTENANCE: Peake Research R5/fcx-II and SRS Reset Tools, Mity-Vac oil evacuator w/ brake bleeder, BMW Battery Tender. COSMETICS: Dinan Badge, OEM chrome exhaust tips, Magnetic stone guards, Roundel valve stem caps, Trunk-mounted Dragon sticker, WI plates: RES IPSA. COMFORT: Premium Package, Heated sport seats, “Z3 Roadster” heated vest (for wife), In-dash CD, LeatherZ MarkII armrest, OEM mesh windscreen. CAR CARE: Porter Cable random orbit buffer, Meguiars car care products, NOAH car cover, Plexus, Raggtop. EXTRAS: Z3Solutions warning triangle.

My Home Page

User Level 8
    Member No: 6602 fredr is on a distinguished road fredr's Avatar

Yes | No

You 2 wusses! I drive my Z every winter! {c;

Oh wait! I live in Texas. Winters aren't bad, we did get snow once last year. On New Years Day I drove about 100 miles top down on Houston BMW CCA chapters Hair of the Dog drive. You guys need to come down for my Spring Drive this year, April 1-3. It will get you out of the winter blahs. Blaine and Tom are going to be there.
    Fred
    96 1.9 Z3 black/tan/black
    97 M3/4 estoril/gray
    08 Kubota 3400 HST orange/charcoal
    08 GMC Sierra stealth gray/gray

Yes | No

Actually, I AM thinking about your Spring Drive

"formerly known as the Texas Hill Country drive" I believe.

I know this is the last one you've said you're going to do, so wanted to get in on it before it ends.

Kinda depends on the winter though - I need new bushings up front, which means new control arms, but my garage can be a very frigid place to try and work in the winter. And getting OUT of MN before April 1st could mean contending with snow... on summer tires.

How about May 1st? ;o)

MinnMark

User Level 8

Yes | No

It was the Spring Drive b4 the Hill Country Drive.

This year it will be a bit farther east than the Hill County. We will be in the heart of the blue bonnet country so it will make a nice break from your winter drudgery. Hope you can make it. BTW by May 1st its too hot down here. Thats when we put the hardtops on so the AC works better. (c;
    Fred
    97 M3/4 estoril/gray

Registered Member
    Member No: 151817 mclass9 is an unknown quantity at this point mclass9's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: It was the Spring Drive b4 the Hill Country Drive.

Thanks to all for all the info. This really clears up things for me.

Registered Member
    Member No: 80340 khammack is an unknown quantity at this point khammack's Avatar

Yes | No

Do you have the web site up for the drive yet?

Fred, do you have your web site up for the drive yet? Tom said he and Blain were trying to make it and I'm trying to talk Arnie into it. Just hope we don't get hit by snow up here like every time we try to make it.

MikeinNH

Yes | No

X2 - would be interested in the details...

Especially after this Winter, sheesh...

NC02Z3

Yes | No

Re: X2 - would be interested in the details...

Us too. Any good TX BBQ stops planned??

redrocketrdster

Yes | No

Keep looking for details, hope to hear soon.

User Level 8

Yes | No

website this coming week

April 2nd thru 3rd, Starting 8:30 AM in Brenham TX.
    Fred
    97 M3/4 estoril/gray

Registered Member
    Member No: 4787 rustyh is an unknown quantity at this point rustyh's Avatar

Yes | No

Brenham? You realize don't you that that's

on the other side of I-35? lol If I were to venture a guess, does this mean this is going to be a piney woods drive?

Someone (Kirby or Potter?) told me this might be the last, so I was thinking about maybe cashing in my alumni pass. Not sure if I'll be in the 3 or if there will be a 911 in the garage by then, but I'd like to see you guys again (at least the few I know/remember).

And if this is going to be an east Texas thing, maybe I could even route myself back via your neighborhood so I could see where you call home these days.

Just out of curiosity, is there much of a north Texas contingent anymore? I dropped the Yahoo group and then I lost all my email addys due to a crash a few months ago. Kirby or Potter or Roger or any of that group still around/active?

Rusty
    '05 330i ZHP in Imola

User Level 8

Yes | No

Yes, its the first Spring Drive east of I35!

And yes it will end at the farm so everyone is welcome to stop and play in the woods. The No Texas group is still around Bud and Kathy Eltringham have stepped into the lead. Their email should be on the ZSCCA site.9-afriggin-11? Life must be good in Ft Worth!
    Fred
    97 M3/4 estoril/gray

Registered Member
    Member No: 4787 rustyh is an unknown quantity at this point rustyh's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Yes, its the first Spring Drive east of I35!

"9-afriggin-11? Life must be good in Ft Worth"

Life is good, most of the rods and screws are still holding pretty well back there, and it was 1 year cancer free the first week of February!!

But good is a subjective thing. If you notice, I didn't say it was going to be a 2011 911. In fact, the reality is that even if I do finally push this to fruition, I might have to downsize my dream to a Cayman/S. The whole maintenance cost thing is still a little concerning. But if I do it, and if I make the drive, maybe we can work a trade. You take the car for a spin and let me take the tractor for a run around the property. (I'll promise to stay away from any permanent structures)

Rusty
    '05 330i ZHP in Imola

User Level 8

Yes | No

Only 3 permanent structures, and trust me the...

trees are worse. I hit them all the time! Hope you can make the drive, Porsche or not. Its surprising the number of Z owners switching to Porsches. I know of 5 just in Houston. Me I will stay with my lowly little old 1.9 forever. Although if FIAT brings in the 500 Abarth I'll be number one on the list.
    Fred
    97 M3/4 estoril/gray

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information