+ Reply to Thread
    Bimmer5Michael

Yes | No

? about scan tools

Has anyone used the CEN-TECH CAN OBDII Code Reader / EOBD Scanner from Harbor Freight?

They have those on sale for 119.00 right now. I downloaded the manual for the product and it seems to be a very good hand held scanner/reader and allows ugrading on line and printing through a PC. It alos allows you to select a specific manufacturer from a menu and it reads live data. I know it is not as good as the ones that are used from a laptop but at this time I am not interested in that depth of scanning. I really need a good scanner to carry with me when I test drive a used car.

This precaution was recently intensified after my ex bought a used 06 528 from a local dealer which had apparantly been code ereased prior to her purchase and after a drive cycle the dash lit up. She does have the BMW extended warranty which covered one of the problems. Had I had a good tool to test the readiness registers and drive cycle data, I could have used the info to further bargain.

For that price which is about what I paid for an ACTRON reader a couple of years ago, it seems to be a very good buy.

Michael
    00 540 sport 6 speed

Registered Member
    Member No: 4328 jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev's Avatar

Yes | No

Looks like a pretty capable scanner (m)

You can usually find a 20% off coupon on their website making it even a better buy. If you get it, please post some info about it. The reviews looked good.

http://www.harborfreight.com/can-obd...ner-98614.html

Bimmer5Michael

Yes | No

Thanks

I have tried to find Pep Boys scanner info but their website is not good for looking up what you dont know what it is you are looking for.

As I said I downloaded the owners manual and it looks like it does mostly what I want it to do. I would also like a scanner that will read transmission and transfer case DTC codes (for my truck). I recently experienced problems with it going into 4WL and after searching the web discovered that the same code could be at least 3 different areas. I chose to remove the dash switch, clean the connectors, and reconnect. FZortunately that is all it was and now works perfectly.

One of the scanners/readers at PepBoys does read transmissio codes but I cannot remember the name of the scanner. ACTRON CP9580 seems to do about the same stuff for 215.00 at PepBoys 279.00 at OREILLY with more refinement and popular solutions to codes. Not sure if it is a 100.00 surplus value. http://www.etoolcart.com/scan-tool-trilingual-obd-ii-can-and-abs.aspx

Equus/Innova model 3150 http://www.etoolcart.com/innova-canobd2-abs-diagnostic-scanner-3150.aspx

CanOBD2 + ABS Diagnostic Tool INN-3150 213.00 0n line 180 Pep Boys has ABS diagnostics for Ford GM and Chrysler and I thought I read on the box that it also reads transmission specific codes.

My son just bought a BMW specific pC based diagnostic utility for 300.00 that allows him to do a bunch of interesting things to the car besides diagnostics and he bought one of those small netbooks to install the software on and use the supplied interface cable but he can register only 3 specific DIN numbers and that is it. So to me that is much too limited for me and the 800.00 price for unlimited DINs is also not for me.

Oh well thanks for your comments as they are always valuable.

Michael
    00 540 sport 6 speed

Registered Member
    Member No: 4328 jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev's Avatar

Yes | No

I did look at the manuals for all 3 of the tools(m

For the money the HF looks like a good deal. The other two say they will do ABS, but only for GM, Ford, and Chrysler. I haven't found a hand held scanner that will do BMW ABS or airbags, which is one of the reasons I bought the PC based AutoEnginuity. I've played around with it a little but need to spend more time to see what all of it's capabilities are. It will do all BMW model from 96 to present.

Registered Member
    Member No: 119706 Bmw540san is on a distinguished road Bmw540san's Avatar

Yes | No

Just go to Wallmart, open one of the car magazines

and tear out 20% HF coupon. I know, I'm guilty of that crime myself.

1998 BMW 540i 6 speed
    Arctic silver, M sport suspension (euro delivery), prod. date 05/98, non VANOS
    Staggered 18" style 32 OEM wheels
    3.15 open differential
    Remus exhaust
    AFE CAI with improved heat shield
    Z3 shifter
    VDO oil pressure and temperature gauges in place of headlight/fog switches
    Powder coated valve covers-satin black
    CDV delete
    Debadged
    AEA DRL module (aftermarket daytime running lights)

1997 BMW 528iA
    Alpine white, premium package, prod. date 04/97, single VANOS
    Staggered 17" style 32 OEM wheels
    Debadged
    AEA DRL module
    Custom made sun blinds for rear seating area

2000 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner, AKA "The Work Horse"

Garage aids:
    Direct Lift Pro Park 8
    Campbell Hausfeld 28 gallon oil lubricated air compressor
    Newair ACP-1400H portable air conditioner and heater
    Auto Enginuity scan tool with BMW enhanced option