+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 33835 jszeto is an unknown quantity at this point jszeto's Avatar

Yes | No

anyone uses MOC oil additive? any good?

I went in dealership for an inspection II and they added MOC engine oil treatment during the oil change. The foreman claimed it is good for reducing carbon buildup. The oil does still look fresh after 250 miles. Should I leave it alone or ask the dealership to redo the oil change free of charge(as it is not recommended by manufacturer)?

Inner Circle Member Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 21320
    Inner Circle ©156 since: Jul 21, 2003 edjack will become famous soon enough edjack's Avatar

Yes | No

Just a waste of money. These "additives" are >>

used to boost profits. Generally speaking, oil additives are a waste of money, unless your engine is very sludged up.

Carbon buildup occurs in the combustion chamber, where MOC never reaches.
    Ed in San Jose. BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319). Golden Gate Chapter. '97 540i 6 speed. Build Date 3/97. Aspensilber over Aubergine leather.

Registered Member
    Member No: 92682 Filehorse will become famous soon enough Filehorse's Avatar

Yes | No

edjack is spot-on. What the MOC does is > >

improve the Service Department's bottom line. The best thing most oil additives can accomplish is to cause no harm. Unless you are dealing with a specific problem such as trying to remove a sludge buildup, the value of any oil additive is questionable at best. If you're using a high-quality synthetic oil, leave the voodoo stuff in the bottle. Of course if you're using a high-quality synthetic oil and changing it at no more than 7,500 mile intervals, you probably won't have any oil-specific problems anyway. Tell the dealer to put that stuff in HIS car if he wants to but not yours.

Filehorse
    Knoxville, TN
    BMWCCA #407627

2002 525i Steptronic Sport/Premium | Build Date: 05/02
    81,000 Ultimate Driving miles
    Xenons
    Style 81s | Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS
    Titanium Gray | Gray Leather
    35% LLumar ATR LLumaStar tint
    Valentine 1 | Hardwired
    Steering wheel position memory w/Alzheimers
    "Lifetime" ATF replaced at 40,000; Switched to Valvoline MaxLife @ the 80,000 mile service
    "LIfetime" Final Drive gear oil replaced at 81,000; Redline 75W-90 GL-5
    StopTech SportStop slotted rotors w/Axxis Deluxe Advanced pads
    StopTech SS Braided Brake Lines

2001 E46 325i (Jet Black) Forced Retirement 6/28/09

2001 E46 325i (Orient Blue) Forced Retirement 10/09

1989 E30 325i (Alpine White) Retired

Registered Member
    Member No: 33835 jszeto is an unknown quantity at this point jszeto's Avatar

Yes | No

stealer ignored me on the free oil change request

and bmwusa customer relations does not help neither. i just hope that the MOC crap stays inert until the next 6k oil change. :(

BigRickMc50

Yes | No

Re: edjack is spot-on. What the MOC does is > >

I think you might have intended to say: "...changing it at no MORE than 7,500 mile intervals...", but we know what you mean.

Registered Member
    Member No: 92682 Filehorse will become famous soon enough Filehorse's Avatar

Yes | No

Good eye. Done.

Filehorse
    Knoxville, TN
    BMWCCA #407627

2002 525i Steptronic Sport/Premium | Build Date: 05/02
    81,000 Ultimate Driving miles
    Xenons
    Style 81s | Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS
    Titanium Gray | Gray Leather
    35% LLumar ATR LLumaStar tint
    Valentine 1 | Hardwired
    Steering wheel position memory w/Alzheimers
    "Lifetime" ATF replaced at 40,000; Switched to Valvoline MaxLife @ the 80,000 mile service
    "LIfetime" Final Drive gear oil replaced at 81,000; Redline 75W-90 GL-5
    StopTech SportStop slotted rotors w/Axxis Deluxe Advanced pads
    StopTech SS Braided Brake Lines

2001 E46 325i (Jet Black) Forced Retirement 6/28/09

2001 E46 325i (Orient Blue) Forced Retirement 10/09

1989 E30 325i (Alpine White) Retired

Unregistered

Yes | No

MOC Oil additive

The dealership first of all should not have added anything to your oil without asking you first. I personally would go back to the dealership and ask them to re-do your oil change at no charge without any MOC oil additive. What happens if you have an engine failure. As you stated BMW does not endorse any adding of MOC oil additive. The shop foreman needs to get another job if he says that adding MOC oil additive to your oil recuces carbon build up. The only thing that MOC oil additive does it to reduce the amount of money in your pocket and increases the amount of money in the dealerships pocket. Go to the MOC website and they are proud of the fact that they increase Dealership profit( From you, the customer)

Quote Originally Posted by jszeto View Post
    I went in dealership for an inspection II and they added MOC engine oil treatment during the oil change. The foreman claimed it is good for reducing carbon buildup. The oil does still look fresh after 250 miles. Should I leave it alone or ask the dealership to redo the oil change free of charge(as it is not recommended by manufacturer)?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 72.66.250.201

Registered Member
    Member No: 185372 doru will become famous soon enough doru's Avatar

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    The dealership first of all should not have added anything to your oil without asking you first. I personally would go back to the dealership and ask them to re-do your oil change at no charge without any MOC oil additive. What happens if you have an engine failure. As you stated BMW does not endorse any adding of MOC oil additive. The shop foreman needs to get another job if he says that adding MOC oil additive to your oil recuces carbon build up. The only thing that MOC oil additive does it to reduce the amount of money in your pocket and increases the amount of money in the dealerships pocket. Go to the MOC website and they are proud of the fact that they increase Dealership profit( From you, the customer)
    Yesss! Especially after a year....Would that work after 3 years too?
    2003 BMW 530
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 64.56.132.26

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information