+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 122544 billsbeemers is an unknown quantity at this point billsbeemers's Avatar

Yes | No

dreaded heater stuck on cold

hiya all
    i have just bought a late 95 740a,im in the uk.
    i have read many many posts on here about the heater issue but mine doesnt seem to be covered.

when i bought the car i never noticed there was no heat out of the heater matrix,heater controls all seem to be fine,temp goes up and down on display but none out of vents,blower speeds up and slows as it should.centre dash vent set on red dot not blue.
    i have noticed that theres no blowing on the drivers footwell either.i suspected the heater valve on engine bulkhead.i took it of and connected the electrical wires to it,the pump operates.
    i connected it back to the pipes and bled system.
    still no change.
    reading other posts it only mentions failing in the hot position not the cold.
    as the weather has been in the minus for a few weeks i darent drive it for fear of freezing inside the car.
    any ideas guys?
    cheers
    daveowning the dream is a reality

Registered Member
    Member No: 58142 ROYinGA is an unknown quantity at this point ROYinGA's Avatar

Yes | No

Not only does the pump have to work but the 2

solenoids have to work also. Do they?

Registered Member
    Member No: 122544 billsbeemers is an unknown quantity at this point billsbeemers's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Not only does the pump have to work but the 2

to be honest,i dont know?
    i take it they should move the plunger if there working?
    if i remove the valve and plug the wires back in and alter the temp switches the plunger should move?
    have i got it right?
    cheers
    daveowning the dream is a reality

Registered Member
    Member No: 58142 ROYinGA is an unknown quantity at this point ROYinGA's Avatar

Yes | No

The valve assembly has 2 solenoid coils and 2 cone

shaped valve plungers. The signals from the IHKA cause the solenoids to move the plungers up-down to send hot water to each half of the heater core. The valve assembly can be taken apart, carefully. I think there are pictures on the web, probably on e38.org. Do a search there. The valves sometimes get clogged.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information