+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 98485 johnbyrne is an unknown quantity at this point johnbyrne's Avatar

Yes | No

Door won't open

Howdy. I went to open my driver's side door on a sub-freezing day last week and felt something give in the mechanism and now the handle is more or less sticking out of its housing a bit, so now the door only opens from the inside.

I've gathered from some online research that it's likely that the Bowden cable or part of its housing inside the door has failed, but I'm unclear as to exactly how involved the repair process is. A local indie shop is quoting $330 for the job based on my description of the symptoms over the phone, but if I thought I could save $100 or more by doing it myself I might be willing to give it a shot.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can share.

John

Registered Member
    Member No: 98485 johnbyrne is an unknown quantity at this point johnbyrne's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Door won't open

Oh, and - duh - my E53 is an '05 3.0, if that makes any difference.

Registered Member
    Member No: 96604 XZ-Driver is an unknown quantity at this point XZ-Driver's Avatar

Yes | No

Go to xoutpost.com and hit the tab "How To's" for X5. There is artical 32 under Body, Wheels and Styling. the location is

http://www.xoutpost.com/articles/x5/body-style/55388-e53-broken-outside-door-handle-fix.html

Registered Member

Yes | No

Thanks so much. Any idea how many hours the job should take a reasonably competent fellow?

Registered Member
    Member No: 96604 XZ-Driver is an unknown quantity at this point XZ-Driver's Avatar

Yes | No

Give yourself plenty of time doing this for the first time. Robert Platt Bell probably can give you an honest estimate based on the experiance he has in taking the door apart. You will wan to be carefull not to break the door cover snaps but as suggested by the xoutpost author, purchasing some additional snaps may be prudent. For me I would expect 2 hrs if you do not encounter any problems and you are carefull to document your steps so that after you replace the parts you can back track to reassemble the door. Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information