+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 17983 horse325es is on a distinguished road horse325es's Avatar

Yes | No

Valve Cover Gasket replacement parts question.

I got my parts list together for the valve cover gasket replacement, wanted you guys and gals to double check my list. What other stuff will break or need replacement while doing this job?

Here's my list:

1: Part# 11129071590 Elring/Klinger Valve Cover Gasket Set; Left - Cylinders 5-8

2: Part# 11129071589 Elring/Klinger Valve Cover Gasket Set; Right - Cylinders 1-4

3: Part# 11121721879 6 Victor/Reinz Valve Cover Grommet; Valve Cover Bolt Seal

4: Part# 11121437395 16 DPH Valve Cover Grommet; Valve Cover Nut Seal

DO I NEED THESE?

Part# 11121747162 16 BMW Cap Nut With Seal for Valve Cover

Andreas
    Queens NY
    BMWCCA# 186796
    86 325es (wrecked by careless driver)
    87 325 (project for life)
    00 540is 6spd (daily driver)

Bimmer5Michael

Yes | No

My advice, a little long

Looks good but you should not need new VC nuts unless you loose some or booger them up. You will need a little rtv sealant just a dab usually does it. Some thick white grease usually holds the vc gasket in place. Passenger side will be the toughest. Must make sure the half moon shaped part of the gaskets fit in there properly (easy to feel behind there to see they are seating properly. Sealant (just a dab goes on the sharp corners only. Some put a little in the grooves of the valve covers to hold and seal the gasket (I never have). By the way those gutters where the VC gaskets drop into must be clean and smooth. Just go slow and easy and it will all work fine.

While you are in that far, resurface the Valve covers? Also check your cooling system in general, remove the shroud and reinstall the fan just to check how much wobble the fan clutch has and the shaft to the water pump (if you have any replace what wobbles. Check the hoses, pensioners, and belts. If you have some clatter on startup you might consider replacing the main chain pensioner, (lower corner passenger side head, Simple replacement that does not cost allot.

How about replacing those leaking power steering lines? Mine still leaks.

You get the pic, while you are there, you might as well give yourself some time of downtime if any of this stuff needs repairing. It usually takes at least a couple of days to get any of the parts from a proper place (not autozone, oreilly, advanced auto, pepboys).

When I did mine, I took the car out of service for a week and completed what it needed in those areas.

Yesterday I started out to do an oil service on my truck, decided to do a transmission service as well, that turned into a front and rear diff service and that turned into a transfer case service and that turned into a right drive shaft seal replacement. So what started as a 45 min service was completed 7 hrs later. I had planned in advance about 2 months ago and gathered up all the fluids, seals, and whatever to do the jobs individually when I could get to them. I had a lift, some time, and everything I needed so finished 7 hrs later than expected.

Now gathering parts for a front bumper cover replacement, painting, power steering pump, and power steering lines for the 540 sometime in the spring or summer.

Have fun, plan ahead and plan to be down.....makes the work allot more enjoyable.

Have fun

Michael
    00 540 sport 6 speed 154,000 miles

rwthomas1

Yes | No

Re: Valve Cover Gasket replacement parts question.

Those valve cover grommet seals fit on to your existing cap nuts. No need for the new cap nuts/seals combo. An inspection mirror works wonders in checking to make sure the seal is in place when reinstalling.

I just cleaned, scraped, wire brushed, etc. the VC's in the parts washer. Painting, powdercoating, etc. is great if you have the time. As long as its clean, I'm happy, no need for paint, etc.

RT

Registered Member

Yes | No

Thanks! Funny thing

I think ive been through everything you mentioned, cooling system, PS hoses and reservoir, belts, tensioners, but i never heard of the chain tensioner as a m62tu problem spot.

i bought the e39 2 1/2 years ago with 130k and im now at 177k.

Hopefully i didn't jinx myself now and i get stuck in this freezing weather like the first year of e39 ownership

Andreas
    Queens NY
    BMWCCA# 186796
    87 325 300k (project for life)
    00 540is 6spd 180k (daily driver)

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Valve Cover Gasket replacement parts question.

Yah im debating putting off the valve cover gaskets till i have my powder coating stuff setup again. If not ill just scrub them down and wrinkle paint them

Andreas
    Queens NY
    BMWCCA# 186796
    87 325 300k (project for life)
    00 540is 6spd 180k (daily driver)

Registered Member
    Member No: 119706 Bmw540san is on a distinguished road Bmw540san's Avatar

Yes | No

I've used Permatex 85409 (ultra rubber gasket

dressing and sealant) on both sides of gasket. It's designed to be applied that way, holds the gasket in place and helps in preventing leaks.

1998 BMW 540i 6 speed
    Arctic silver, M sport suspension (euro delivery), prod. date 05/98, non VANOS
    Staggered 18" style 32 OEM wheels
    3.15 open differential
    Remus exhaust
    AFE CAI with improved heat shield
    Z3 shifter
    VDO oil pressure and temperature gauges in place of headlight/fog switches
    Powder coated valve covers-satin black
    CDV delete
    Debadged
    AEA DRL module (aftermarket daytime running lights)

1997 BMW 528iA
    Alpine white, premium package, prod. date 04/97, single VANOS
    Staggered 17" style 32 OEM wheels
    Debadged
    AEA DRL module
    Custom made sun blinds for rear seating area

2000 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner, AKA "The Work Horse"

Garage aids:
    Direct Lift Pro Park 8
    Campbell Hausfeld 28 gallon oil lubricated air compressor
    Newair ACP-1400H portable air conditioner and heater
    Auto Enginuity scan tool with BMW enhanced option
    Actron 9135 scan tool-for quick readouts

Bimmer5Michael

Yes | No

Re: Thanks! Funny thing

That was a big part of my clattering sometimes on cold startup. The passenger side cam tensioner is a little weak as well and bleeds completely off sometimes making the chain clatter until pumped back up (about a second). When I removed my main chain tensioner, it was also not working correctly. It was the least expensive and easiest part to address so I did that and most of the clatter is gone, in fact it may all be gone as I have not heard it on any startup in the last several startups and it sit for 2 to 4 weeks at a time.

So I donít think its a weakness or a particular issue with the e 39 540 but it apparently was with mine.

Michael
    00 540 sport 6 speed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information