+ Reply to Thread
    Nick

Yes | No

Sorry, anyone use an iPod adaptor?

No CD player in the trunk. I see BAVauto has one.
    Any experience out there?
    thanks
    Nick, 98 540i/6

Registered Member
    Member No: 64559 crusader is an unknown quantity at this point crusader's Avatar

Yes | No

I have a Dice unit ,,,

OK, but the long cable run from trunk to installation location in cabin is noise-prone (they now make a system that connects to the back of the head unit). It functionally replaces the CD changer.

They are making a new unit called the Media Bridge which seems pretty slick. Includes aux, USB connector and optional bluetooth. It can be had with either trunk cable or head unit connector.
    Crusader

2003 530i SP/PP/Xenon

Registered Member
    Member No: 21537 sktn77a is an unknown quantity at this point sktn77a's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Sorry, anyone use an iPod adaptor?

I installed one in my 2001 530i - worked really well and the sound quality was excellent. I didn't want to run the cable from the trunk so I go the one with the radio connector (from EAS). Simple install after I found out how to remove the cassette player!

Keith
    2001 530i 5sp

Registered Member
    Member No: 21537 sktn77a is an unknown quantity at this point sktn77a's Avatar

Yes | No

(I Installed the Dice Silverline Pro)

Keith
    2001 530i 5sp

Registered Member
    Member No: 67632 bilbmw is an unknown quantity at this point bilbmw's Avatar

Yes | No

What I use and my thoughts (long)...

...I have Dice units in both of my cars. I installed the "installer's model" in my '97 528i. As someone else said, it's connected directly into the back of the head unit (Business CD). I installed it myself and it wasn't too hard to do (and I am certainly not a car audio installer!). The one in the M5 was already installed (in the trunk) when I bought the car. They work ok but they are not exactly seamless in operation:

528i -sometimes the unit has to be reset; a real PITA to go up into the dash and unplug/plug the Dice box from the radio harness. Others have said they have to disconnect/reconnect the battery to reset their Dice unit. I just remove the little plastic panel on the left side of the glovebox and pull the Dice box out and unplug/plug. GRRRRR. And, sometimes the scrolling text feature doesn't always work.

M5 -if connected to my iPod and if the car has been turned off for an hour or more, I have to disconnect/reconnect my iPod to get it working again. And, for some reason, it won't charge my ipod like the one in the 528 does. The scrolling text feature has worked every time though (so far).

I've heard of a unit called Intravee, but I'm still researching (where and from whom to get it, cost, features, etc.) this item. I got the 528's Dice unit from EAS (european auto source). The prev. owner of my M5 got his from them also.

'00 M5
    -Carbon Black
    -Blk/Blu Sport interior
    -Mk III Nav. upgrade (16:9 wide screen)
    -Rogue Engineering short shift kit
    -Dice iPod integration kit

'97 528i
    -'99 Double VANOS motor and ECU
    -Jet Black
    -Sand Beige interior
    -Black Dashboard (upper/lower, and center console)
    -Black, all leather shift handle
    -Debadged
    -Mr. MPL mesh lower grille
    -Shadowline (diy) ext. trim
    -Frenched high beams
    -Clear front turn signal and side marker lenses
    -Red/clear taillights
    -E38 Interior map light w/ wood trim
    -Amber fr. fog lamps
    -Rear fog lamps
    -In-dash CD player (CD53 Business)
    -CMT5000VR cell phone (old tech.)
    -Bav. Autosport mats w/ B/A icon (blue)
    -Burlwood e-brake handle
    -///M dead pedal
    -Rear view mirror w/ compass
    -Chrome instr. rings
    -...and a rebuilt GM 4L30E transmission!!

'86 528e

'87 Chrysler Conquest TSi w/5spd.

'89 Merc. Grand Marquis

BMWCCA member since 1998

Registered Member
    Member No: 30282 dsalinas is on a distinguished road dsalinas's Avatar

Yes | No

I have the Dice unit with the long trunk cable.

It was a relatively easy installation since I have the fold down rear seats. I mounted the unit under the drivers seat and have the cable coming in the rear of the center console into the storage tray under the armrest. Occasionally I find that the music info no longer scrolls or I can't skip to the next song using the steering wheel controls. All it takes to correct this is to restart my iPod Touch by completely shutting it down (hitting both the "home button" and the power button on the top and holding both for a few seconds). After turning it back on all functions work as they are supposed to. Also, I have no noise issues with the long cable run. The device works perfectly for me.

jet black 2000 528iA
    sport premium package
    MB Quart speakers
    two Alpine amps
    MTX subwoofer
    AudioControl equalizer
    Dice interface for iPod
    BMW CCA member

Eurodavid

Yes | No

I left the cassette player in, used the $8 ipod

cassette adapter, and have been happy ever since. Plus, I can pull out some of my old Led Zepplin, Bowie and John Denver cassettes and be transported back in time.

Hi fidelity in music is WAY overrated. You might as well get out a ruler, compare to your neighbors, and solve your problems that way if you think the sound is that much better with a better system. It's not.

Eurodavid

Registered Member
    Member No: 25251 pm179 is an unknown quantity at this point pm179's Avatar

Yes | No

LOL ... here we go [and a question near the end]

[well I need to jump in somewhere and start participating on this board ;-) ]

The stereo is the first thing I wanted to rip out of my car when I bought it so it doesn't surprise me that the sound of your iPod/cassette setup sounds fine to you. IMO (and that's all it is and everyone is entitled to theirs) the stock system cannot reproduce the clean highs & lows to show off the qualities of a higher fidelity source materials so adding cassette interface to stock system sounds fine. Also, your cassette / iPod setup would sound that much better, IMO, on a high quality clean aftermarket system.

The so-called noise associated with cassette can be drowned out with higher speed road noise, meaning as the noise level in the cabin rises ;-) ... but there is no substitute for great aftermarket stuff if you what to turn up the volume. There IS a difference

I've never had a stereo system in my car with the intent to play it while sitting still, I have a living room for that lol

Okay ...the question - I've read about an adapter that is basically a plug on one end that goes into the back of the head unit, and a mini jack for an iPod input that installs in the glovebox or dash (custom?) ... has anyone used this $40 option? I read all about the DICE unit installs etc but what is the drawback for this cheap, direct input and why doesn't anyone mention it?

Thanks,

Michael in MD
    CCA #442539

2003 540i 6-speed M Tech II sport
    Sterling Gray / Black Leather
    Cold Weather Package
    Electric Rear Sunshade
    Premium Sound
    Gas Guzzler
    Build Date 5/03

35% 3M Tint

ASA 17" AR1's Black w/ Machined lip
    Pirelli 210 Zero winter wheel & tire package

CDV Deleted
    All fluids replaced @ 37k

[Grinning from ear to ear]

Registered Member
    Member No: 67632 bilbmw is an unknown quantity at this point bilbmw's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: LOL ... here we go [and a question near the end]

I went with Dice because I liked the idea of the names and titles scrolling across the MID and being able to control the iPod without having to pick it up or reach for it to search for a tune. Dice let's you control everything from the dash or steering wheel. I like toys and thought it was a neat feature. It would be nice if it allowed one to choose to operate the iPod itself or control it through the radio. The Dice locks out the iPod controls once it's hooked up.

If you're talking about the factory aux. hook-up kit, that is fairly easy to use and not a bad way to go. But I thought you have to at least have an '02 or newer radio. Just my opinion.

'00 M5
    -Carbon Black
    -Blk/Blu Sport interior
    -Mk III Nav. upgrade (16:9 wide screen)
    -Rogue Engineering short shift kit

'97 528i
    -'99 Double VANOS motor and ECU
    -Jet Black
    -Sand Beige interior
    -Black Dashboard (upper/lower, and center console)
    -Black, all leather shift handle
    -Debadged
    -Mr. MPL mesh lower grille
    -Shadowline (diy) ext. trim
    -Frenched high beams
    -Clear front turn signal and side marker lenses
    -Red/clear taillights
    -E38 Interior map light w/ wood trim
    -Amber fr. fog lamps
    -Rear fog lamps
    -In-dash CD player (CD53 Business)
    -CMT5000VR cell phone (old tech.)
    -Bav. Autosport mats w/ B/A icon (blue)
    -Burlwood e-brake handle
    -///M dead pedal
    -Rear view mirror w/ compass
    -Chrome instr. rings
    -...and a rebuilt GM 4L30E transmission!!

'86 528e

'87 Chrysler Conquest TSi w/5spd.

'89 Merc. Grand Marquis

BMWCCA member since 1998

Registered Member
    Member No: 64559 crusader is an unknown quantity at this point crusader's Avatar

Yes | No

Car stereo quality

There's definitely a point of diminishing returns when investing in a car stereo. Even if you possess golden ears (mine aren't ... 20 years flying jet aircraft), an auto interior is not conducive to great sound.

OTOH, the BMW stock systems are pretty bad and modest upgrades that improve the low and high end are worthwhile ... good speakers and a sub + amp. Even I can hear the difference, and hear it at high cruising speeds.

Unfortunately, most "upgrades" I've heard are primarily aimed at creating an unbalanced bass boost that can loosen your fillings at 100 yards.

As for the golden ears, I've always found it amusing that they'll invest in outrageously expensive accessories to achieve sonic excellence. My personal fav is 99.9% pure silver power cords for the amp and pre-amp ... after the juice has traveled dozens of feet through lowest bidder romex wiring to get to the wall plug.
    Crusader

2003 530i SP/PP/Xenon

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Car stereo quality

I agree with what you're saying and I'm certainly not in that golden ear category

I think the weakest spot in out cars is the amp, especially the DSP version in mine. Unfortunately the stock setup doesn't make it easy to "just" replace that amp because it processes all the signals to each speaker separately if I understand it correctly.

I wouldn't mind "just" upgrading the amp first because even stock speakers can sound good with real good clean sound to them (which is the furthest thing from what we have) ... of course I have no knowledge of how these speakers really sound and I can't think of any write-ups that have gone just that route. Most people do both amps and speakers. I would of course have to add the bottom end

All I really want is good clean, balanced sound with nice high's and lows at higher volume ... and a good front soundstage haha

If I do it in steps I will make sure to report my finding here ... I have some leftover equipment from previous installs that "might" let me control crossovers to stock speakers and set the appropriate levels

I hope no one took offense at me jumping in on this topic ... but it is the only one I may be able to talk about on the same level like you guys talk about with the rest of the car ;-)

Michael in MD
    CCA #442539

Cold Weather Package
    Electric Rear Sunshade
    Premium Sound
    Gas Guzzler
    Build Date 5/03

35% 3M Tint

CDV Deleted

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: LOL ... here we go [and a question near the end]

Ah ... got it ... 2002 or newer may explain why there is very little found on this aux plugs user features (or maybe it is just bad search terms on my part) ... I found write ups for the install itself, and it seems pretty easy, but I don't know how it integrates into the system

I do not mind using the iPod itself to choose the music but do you know if AT LEAST the volume is still controllable from the steering wheel with this simple aux setup?

[I'll search some more too and see what I can find out]

Thanks,

Michael in MD
    CCA #442539

Cold Weather Package
    Electric Rear Sunshade
    Premium Sound
    Gas Guzzler
    Build Date 5/03

35% 3M Tint

CDV Deleted

Panos

Yes | No

I have a dension I was going to sell >>

since I am going to an android phone. I was just going to get an aux adapter. Unfortunately I will loose the steering wheel control, but I have other reasons for changing phones.

The dension works with ipods and iphones and the steering wheel controls work flawlessly. It replaced the CD changer.

greazedjebus

Yes | No

How much are you asking for the dension?

What model is it? (I think there are different models for the 25 vs 40 pin harnesses in the e39...)

Panos

Yes | No

Re: How much are you asking for the dension?

Its the one that connects in the trunk by the CD-changer. I do not remember the pin count. I can get the model number tonight. $75 shipped? I think I paid $130 for it a while back. I am also pretty sure that you will need some sort of adapter if you have DSP. I do not.

Panos

Yes | No

Re: How much are you asking for the dension?

email me if interested

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information