+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

piperguy

Yes | No

Performance muffler on a 540 Wagon ??

Looks like I may be removing the muffler to check on whether there are significant amounts of busted up Cat Converter material in it. I'm toying with putting on a performance exhaust while there. Remus lists one for the wagon. Only thing I'm not sure of is whether it fits in the stock apron. I really don't want to get into cutting the bumper cover.

My question ..... has anyone put a performance system on a wagon ?? If so, whose did you use and would you do it again ?? Also, was there an objectionable increase in noise, especially in the rear seat area ?? Any increase in fuel mileage (on my Denali Pickup, I increased fuel mileage by almost 2 mpg when the Corsa system was unstalled)??

Thanks in advance Vaughan

mlane

Yes | No

I have a Dinan exhaust on my 540 Wagon

Hi Vaughn,

I've had a Dinan exhaust on my 2001 540iT for 3 years.

Fit: perfect for standard rear bumper
    Sound: to quote Dinan, "civilized yet sporty"
    Fuel consumption: zero difference
    Weight: approximately 30 lb lighter than stock exhaust

The exhaust sound is much more noticeable. I like the sound; my wife is not bothered by it.

I began modifying my wagon in 2006 (after 2 years of ownership). The engine has now evolved to Dinan Stage 5, the suspension is also significantly modified (Eibach springs, Koni FSDs, M5 antiroll bars, Dinan camber plates and strut brace).

I've enjoyed every mod, and I'd do it all again. Taking advantage of several Dinan "specials" over the years has helped to keep the costs down.

Regards,
    Mark

Registered Member
    Member No: 4328 jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev's Avatar

Yes | No

Looking at RealOEM the wagon has the same (m

exhaust as the sedan, so there are a lot of options for a better sounding exhaust. I put an Eisenmann Race muffler on my 540. No real complaints from my wife either.
    I did trim the lower bumper lip so I could raise the muffler up, I didn't like the look of it hanging down.

mlane

Yes | No

Wagon exhaust is not quite identical (more)

RealOEM shows that all exhaust parts are the same except for the last piece, the "rear silencer" is 18101439826 for wagon, 18101439825 for sedan.

Mark

Registered Member
    Member No: 4328 jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev's Avatar

Yes | No

That's for vehicles with M Aerodynamics package(m

I think it's just how the tip comes out straight with a bumper cutout. The 540 sedan tip doesn't show.

mlane

Yes | No

M Aerodynamics silencers are different, too (m)

In addition to the hidden/exposed exhaust tips, the rear bumper skin is different on the wagon, so perhaps that is the reason that all silencers are different between sedans and wagons, even the ones for M Aerodynamics:

Sedan -- 18101407970 effective 2/2001
    Wagon -- 18107832050 effective 3/2001

All of the aftermarket systems I've seen specify different silencers for wagons, too.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information