+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

BG

Yes | No

What now? No 100% gasoline left in my town

Have any of you E21 drivers been using gasohol for months or years, and have you had any problems? In my town, the last station that sold 100% gasoline now has a blend of unknown proportion ethanol ("Up to 10 percent"). The owners manual specifically says to not use gasohol, which was a mixture of gasoline and methanol in the early 1980s. It's sobering that we are experimenting once again, 30 years hence.

floydr

Yes | No

Re: What now? No 100% gasoline left in my town

AFAIK, methanol has never been used in any gasoline/gasohol product. It's pretty nasty stuff and eats rubber.

Ethanol has been used in the past as an oxygenator in gasoline, since around 1980, as you say. Here in the Seattle area, it was added (not sure percentage-wise, 3-5% IIRC) during the winter months to help prevent ozone buildups. Our E21 320i and E12 530i ran fine on it, although with about a 5% hit to mileage.

BG

Yes | No

No 100% gasoline left in my town

Sorry, I used the wrong terms. I meant, has anyone used gasoline-ethanol (E10 or E15) in their E21? I have tried to avoid it entirely, but now have no choice.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information