+ Reply to Thread
    Rick Z

Yes | No

How is alternator grounded

Hi all. I recently did an engine overhaul on myí85 535i, and when I put it back together found that the battery wasnít charging - no output from the alternator which I had had rebuilt at an alternator shop. At first I thought the shop had put in the wrong regulator, but after checking further I started to look at the charging circuit, which is pretty simple, and it got me wondering about how the alternator is grounded. I know the engine is supposed to be grounded with a small strap from the back of the head to the frame, but the alternator itself is isolated from the engine with the mounting bolts running through rubber vibration bushings - there is no metal contact between the alternator body at all and I donít see how there ever could have been, but if that was true the car would never run properly right from the factory! Did I miss something when I put the engine back together? There is no ground connection on the alternator body, but Iím thinking of running one directly to the battery negative terminal. Any ideas? Thanks.

Registered Member
    Member No: 58142 ROYinGA is an unknown quantity at this point ROYinGA's Avatar

Yes | No

Mine has a fat brown wire screwed to the back of

the case and then to the mounting casting on the engine.

Steve B

Yes | No

The later alts-

didn't have rubber bushings, so they were grounded through the mounts. The earlier ones used rubber bushings and a ground strap. So, for 88 you should have the solid mounts, but since you don't, add the ground wire.

Rick Z

Yes | No

Thanks

Thanks guys. Sorry for taking so long to notice your responses. There was indeed supposed to be a ground strap that I forgot to replace when I put the alternator back. I was looking at a pre-disassembly picture when I noticed it. No wonder my battery wasn't charging.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 23.16.103.146

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information