+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Sunny5

Yes | No

I'm struggling between and E36 and E 46

Looking for a convertible and trying to decide between both addition.

Each has it's pluses and minus...but I saw an E46 convert. tonight in the dust and I really like that siloette...as long as I don't mind paying $2000 in upgraded wheels...lol

Registered Member
    Member No: 60437 michaelgvh is an unknown quantity at this point michaelgvh's Avatar

Yes | No

the only E36 i considered was an M3

I owned an E36 325i like 5 years ago. Good car, but it's finally dating itself as it's 3 models old now. They sold too many for it to be a classic among anything other than BMW guys. The M3 is such a treat to drive that I would have considered an M3 very, but finding a clean one is almost impossible. My local BMW shop said they do a ton of pre-purchase inspections and they have probably inspected 20 E36 M3s and they only gave a green light to ONE of them. You gotta figure most have had 2-4 owners and at least one owner beat the hell out of it.
    So, I decided to get something newer where the body style would hold up for a couple more years.
    I stepped in a 330ci a couple weeks ago and was immediately hooked. It made my E39 feel like a complete pig.
    My 2c.=============================================== ==========

Michael G. vH

1999 528it
    1994 325i (sold)

User Level 8
    Member No: 59049 hoscarnag has a little shameless behaviour in the past hoscarnag's Avatar

Yes | No

if you NEED them let me know where to ship them

I've had them in my garage for years. They need a new home and I need to free up some space.
    Photobucket

Registered Member
    Member No: 60437 michaelgvh is an unknown quantity at this point michaelgvh's Avatar

Yes | No

wow thanks!

I'll know more in a couple days. Can't wait.
    ================================================== =======

Michael G. vH

1999 528it
    1994 325i (sold)

Registered Member
    Member No: 64171 reupreckt is an unknown quantity at this point reupreckt's Avatar

Yes | No

HBWT is like the Mother Teresa of RF

Registered Member
    Member No: 64171 reupreckt is an unknown quantity at this point reupreckt's Avatar

Yes | No

There are similarities.

choster

Yes | No

Re: the only E36 i considered was an M3

Michaelgvh or others:

Liked your 2Cents about the E36 M3s and E36 325s. Any advice or gotchas re: E46 325 Convertible from you or your local BMW shop that do pre-purchase inspections?

I'm considering a E46 2001 325ic Convertible with 61K miles (2 owners, with low mileage evenly spread over 2 owners). So far one issue - it has already failed smog check once before, but has since passed. Worried catylytic converted could go out (very costly!)

Any advice would be appreciated !

p.s. I'm in Los Angeles area. Where are you located?

p.p.s. Is your purchased 330ci an E46 convertible?
    --------------
    I owned an E36 325i like 5 years ago. Good car, but it's finally dating itself as it's 3 models old now. They sold too many for it to be a classic among anything other than BMW guys. The M3 is such a treat to drive that I would have considered an M3 very, but finding a clean one is almost impossible. My local BMW shop said they do a ton of pre-purchase inspections and they have probably inspected 20 E36 M3s and they only gave a green light to ONE of them. You gotta figure most have had 2-4 owners and at least one owner beat the hell out of it.
    So, I decided to get something newer where the body style would hold up for a couple more years.
    I stepped in a 330ci a couple weeks ago and was immediately hooked. It made my E39 feel like a complete pig

Registered Member

Yes | No

predictably - the driver mat is in rough shape...

The other three are all ok. I feel strange taking you up on your offer as a new guy to the board. I haven't contributed a darned thing... yet.

As an aside, I'm trying to learn fast. I've had the car for 2 days and managed a DICE install and hardwired my Valentine-1 to the homelink power supply.

Michael G. vH

1999 528it
    1994 325i (sold)

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: the only E36 i considered was an M3

I guess O2 sensor starting to fail could be a reason for failing a smog test. The mileage sounds a shade early for o2 sensor to go, but it could happen. It's a less costly red flag than a full Cat.

As for what to look for, I don't know the E46 well enough yet, but any time you are talking Vert, you need to do a careful examination of the top material, window, and all the mechanicals of it. Unless you have a mad set of upholsterer skills, a new top will cost you 1-2k to get done. The rear window will get hazy after a few years. Some zip out and are cheaper to replace.
    Standard BMW inspection says you need to take a close look at the cooling system and suspension components and bushings at that mileage.

Bottom line, find a good BMW shop that knows these cars... not a random show, and the $100-$150 you spend will pay itself back times 5 in the ammunition they give you for negotiating the price down due to stuff they find that needs attention.
    ... or they will save you $12k when they tell you to stay away from a train wreck.

Good luck with the purchase, it's a beautiful car.

Michael G. vH

1999 528it
    1994 325i (sold)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information