Closed Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 139310 tomswift is an unknown quantity at this point tomswift's Avatar

Yes | No

New Jersey inspection station(s) and OBD-1 ?

Has anyone had experience with New Jersey inspection station(s) ever since the state eliminated all safety inspections and just zero in on emissions? Years ago emissions were sniffed at the tailpipe. They do not do that anymore - the state relies entirely on the vehicle's computer interface for a basic Pass/Fail sticker.

Curious to know if they interface with the old OBD-1 system to obtain emissions info. [It's relatively easy for them on an OBD-2 since the plug, etc is standardized on newer cars. Seen that a few times now.]

***Have an admittedly irrational idea of them going under my e34 hood to access the port and shorting out my entire system.***

Cheers...

Registered Member
    Member No: 184793 E34Crew is an unknown quantity at this point E34Crew's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: New Jersey inspection station(s) and OBD-1 ?

that is a really good point...mine is coming up in like 6 mounths..so dunno ..hope not

Registered Member
    Member No: 139310 tomswift is an unknown quantity at this point tomswift's Avatar

Yes | No

Well, mine is due next month (March). Will report back...1995 e34 at 156,000 miles

Registered Member

Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by tomswift View Post
    Well, mine is due next month (March). Will report back...
    Sorry it took a while for me to report back, but the bottom line is that the NJ Inspection Station I went to (Kilmer in Central Joisey) did the emissions test old school.

Sniffer up the tailpipe. They did not attempt to hook up to anything in the engine compartment.

FYI for anyone interested...

Closed Thread

Thread Information