+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 56726 lezonebay is an unknown quantity at this point lezonebay's Avatar

Yes | No

an another creepy trouble. Headlight turns on the

emergency flashers and the interior lights (all of them)

not always but 40-50% of the time. I just switch shut the flasher and the interior lights and all goes back to normal.

It is a feature or some module or switch or something is creeping out ?

This car keeps giving me issues. No big ones yet, but a bunch of little ones. I'm not in love with the E39 for sure. By far the least reliable car I have owned in a past 10 years.
    The MB ML430 and the Range Rover tops the list for sure, but those were the wife's car.

Once I had a Mitsubishi Diamante Wagon - most reliable car ever owned - bought in 96 with 10k miles and sold in '99 with 90k miles, spent money on oil, 1 set of brake pads/front rotors and 1 set of tires and 1 tune-up. Nothing else. I did not do any other maintenance on it nor did I fix anything. Never needed fixing. Was decent on gas, fairly oke on speed and it was a perfectly good tool for I needed it. it had a tow hitch and I used to tow jetski's and ATV with it. Loved the car but then got bit by a BMW bug. Bought my 1st 840ci in 1998 and have had 3 more E31's. All pretty reliable, by far more reliable then the E39 528iT for sure.

I guess I picked a wrong one... '99 528iT with 87k miles Silver with grey non-sport. for sale... or trade... soon.

1997 BMW 840CiA
    1990 BMW Z1
    1999 BMW 528iT (Hauler mobile)
    2002 Astro Van AWD
    2003 Nissan 350Z Enthusiast Package
    1987 BMW 535i with 5spd manual (for sale)
    1992 BMW 735iL (needs head and interior)
    1977 BMW 320i (project racecar)
    2007 Mazda CX9 AWD (Wife mobile)
    1998 Yamaha Blaster+Breeze

1995 850CSI CD00177 (SOLD)

Registered Member
    Member No: 23375 Gans will become famous soon enough Gans's Avatar

Yes | No

open & close passenger side sun visor by

sliding door, is weird things happen ,faulty ignition switch

Jay Gans 2000 528 MT Non-sport.Titanium Silver, Grey Leather. Premium Package, Cold Weather, Fold down seats. Oct 99 production.ash try mod so not bone stock. CD changer. Garmin C510 Nav..Honda CH150D scooter

Registered Member
    Member No: 56726 lezonebay is an unknown quantity at this point lezonebay's Avatar

Yes | No

what do you mean weird things ? it only shuts

the light off and turns it on. Does it supposed to do more ?

I tried both side, left and right, nothing. Is this a secret access to some codes ?

Its the headlight switch that does weird things ! I turn on the headlights and 50% of the time the flashers go on, (all 4 like with the emergency light button) and the interior lights goes on. All of them.

Easy to turn them, just push the button on the main dome light button on the ceiling and push the emergency light switch on the center console.

The trouble is, this could be a sign of a module or something else going wacky. I suspected ground fault, but I checked a few places and all good.

Where are all the grounds ? I found 1 by the battery, one on the hood. I bet there are at least 20 more on the car...

1997 BMW 840CiA
    1990 BMW Z1
    2002 Astro Van AWD

Registered Member
    Member No: 23375 Gans will become famous soon enough Gans's Avatar

Yes | No

if nothing wierd happens , like dash lights do

crazy thing, then it is NOT the ignition switch

Jay Gans 2000 528 MT Non-sport.Titanium Silver, Grey Leather. Premium Package, Cold Weather, Fold down seats. Oct 99 production.ash try mod so not bone stock. CD changer. Garmin C510 Nav..Honda CH150D scooter

Registered Member
    Member No: 4328 jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev's Avatar

Yes | No

The ground connections are everywhere (m)

Both sides of the front fenders under the hood. By the pass side of the DME box, ground strap on bottom of engine to RF chassis. Under carpet in front, both sides I think. Under dash. Below RR tail light by battery. Negative battery cable to body.
    Probably a few more that I can't remember too.

Whorse

Yes | No

check the lcm for water

Registered Member

Yes | No

bone dry. everything.

1997 BMW 840CiA
    1990 BMW Z1
    2002 Astro Van AWD

Registered Member

Yes | No

and an ANOTHER ONE. Door won't shut !

just today morning, 29F outside, I clean the windshield and warmp up the car, shut the door and... wait it did not close. Tried again and again. I checked the latch, won't engage. I suspect something broke inside.

Its Official - E39 is worst nightmare of a car for me.

so panel will be removed and latch checked. I bet its at least 150usd or more :-)

I have to wait for the weather to get warmer. Its supposed to be almost 40F today :-) lucky me.

1997 BMW 840CiA
    1990 BMW Z1
    2002 Astro Van AWD

Craig in Canada

Yes | No

Re: and an ANOTHER ONE. Door won't shut !

You probably just need to lube the latch, it's happened to me when that was neglected for years.

You need to heat it up and get some kind of spray lube into the latch and work it until the "pin" (or whatever you want to call it) will click into place to hold the door shut. After this it shouldn't cause you any trouble.

Registered Member

Yes | No

that was my idea too. I got a door latch lubricant

yes, they make that for idiots like me :-)

Will try that and the heat up thing might helps too. I had a layer of frost on the car as it was heavily raining yesterday and today morning 25-27F. The car sat in a shaded area so yes, could be.

BUT my wife's Mazda CX9 is perfectly good, no issues, my 2002 Astro Van never gives me any trouble either.

But thanks for the tips and will do them. Hopefully I can fix this issue and no need to buy a new latch.

I'm getting so close to get pissed by the amount of little stuff, and sell the car... but when it drives, it feels good.

1997 BMW 840CiA
    1990 BMW Z1
    2002 Astro Van AWD

Craig in Canada

Yes | No

Re: that was my idea too. I got a door latch lubricant

When it caught up with me was when I stopped going to an indy for maintenance and started to DIY everything. I guess my indy would hit the latches with a spray lube on a regular basis and when I started doing everything myself I neglected them. It would hit particularly when there was any wet conditions (rain, carwash) and then it went into a cold snap (like 0F or close to it). Then the door wouldn't stay shut because there wasn't enough grease keeping water out of the mechanism.

It used to be discussed here years ago - not recently. Depending on the build date of your car, Jim Cash also mentioned updated shields which could be retrofitted into the door to limit latch exposure to water which would help too.

At any rate, if you were wet and then cold I doubt you need a new latch.

Registered Member
    Member No: 74603 plexus is an unknown quantity at this point plexus's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: an another creepy trouble. Headlight turns on the

Hay Laszlo, I find this to be the same. The 540i seems like a very finiky, sensitive and unreliable vehicle. There are so many weird glitches with no real answers. And the parts for it can be very expensive depending on if you want to risk putting cheaper parts in or not. Because of the unreliability there is motivation to spend $$$ on parts to try and mitigate future problems. It is unfortunate because it is otherwise a great car. plexus
    http://www.oldbmw.com
    00 540i M sport/6sp (Dieter)
    71 3.0CS euro (Anelise)
    84 528e (Florian - decommissioned)

Registered Member
    Member No: 74603 plexus is an unknown quantity at this point plexus's Avatar

Yes | No

I thought the E28 was a reliable model...

Las, didn't I see you on the E28 forum maybe? or maybe it was an email list? Your name sounds familiar.

How long have you had the E39? Mine is a '00 540i. My 84 528e was very reliable requiring only typical repairs and parts breakdown happened as expected. good parts were cheap and it could run on cheap aftermarket parts no problem. I also have a 71 E9 which I don't drive much.

I am feeling the same as you about the E39 in my life: thinking about selling it before it costs me even more money. or do I want to keep it and just hold my breath every time I drive it?plexus
    http://www.oldbmw.com
    00 540i M sport/6sp (Dieter)
    71 3.0CS euro (Anelise)
    84 528e (Florian - decommissioned)

Eurodavid

Yes | No

if u live in N.A.,the BMW darkcloud voodoo arrived

Registered Member
    Member No: 4328 jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev's Avatar

Yes | No

U mean the one that dropped 3 feet of snow (m)

in my driveway in the last 2 weeks with more coming next Tues/Wed?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information