+ Reply to Thread
    S Kent

Yes | No

2002 BMW325i Expansion Tank Hoses not connected

Help! New owner 1st time BMW.Driving vehicles on interstate and I noticed cold air blowing out of heater.Temp gage was on the RED.Pulled over when I could, but ended up driving a ways.Car was towed to service shop.Engine overheated and it had an aftermarket expansin tank and the hoses from the tank to the motor came disconnecxted.The plastic coolant have melted.Coolant all leaked.What would of caused the hose to come off?Also, i found out they did not have bmw oe coolant.Mechanic told me on phone today that he has to replaced the tubing.Told me $1,500.Anyone have any response as to why this happened and is the cost reasonable?Thankyou.

floydr

Yes | No

Re: 2002 BMW325i Expansion Tank Hoses not connected

$1500 to replace the expansion tank is around $500 too high.

Do you mean to say that the car HAD an aftermarket tank, and that that may have been the reason the hoses came off? Since BMW doesn't manufacture many of their parts, it's possible (even probable) that it had been manufactured by the OEM manufacturer and just didn't have the BMW sigil.

In any case, broken coolant tanks are one of the two or three leading BMW coolant system problems. Hoses coming off (or the hose bib breaking away from the radiator or expansion tank) is the other.

Loss of coolant is an extremely serious problem. You should have stopped at once, as the aluminum engines don't tolerate overheat conditions at all well. It is quite possible (not 100%) that your engine is now toast - only time will tell.

S Kent

Yes | No

No. Just mentioned that that was written in the report on the car.Also, could the non-bmw coolant that was placed in there 6 mnths ago caused a problem?Mechanic said it wasnt bmw coolant.I wasnt able to pull over quickly because i was on I80 during rush hour around a large city with snow all over and could not find a decent place to pull over.

S Kent

Yes | No

Mechanic said engine is not toasted and he has the hoses on order and will install them. Quoted me $1,500

Registered Member
    Member No: 93023 Stinger9 is on a distinguished road Stinger9's Avatar

Yes | No

We have no way of knowing how skillful and

knowlegeable this mechanic is. So our answers are somewhat guesses.
    Hoses can just come off because parts fail or hoses were never attached properly, or parts were defective.
    Overheating even briefly can warp your head which can be very expensive to restore to running condition.
    Seems like this mechanic does not know what he is talking about if he said the engine is OK without testing. Did he spin the engine? Did he do a compression test? How does he know the head is not warped and therefore will leak oil into the water and vice versa?
    For putting in a few hoses and new expansion tank, parts might be under $200 and this would take maybe an hour for someone with BMW skills. Does this seem reasonable to you?

Sounds like you could be in a bad place with this mechanic. I'd guess he'll put you on the road again without investigating anything more than the superficial, and you'll have serious problems in short order. I hope you're lucky and get away with just this simple repair.

And the wrong antifreeze would be a very unlikely suspect in this kind of a situation. The wrong type contains phosphates which would corrode your system internally over time. But unlikely to be the culprit here. If it was the cause, putting new hoses and tank on would do nothing to prevent this from happening again in short order.

You are obviously an owner with little or no mechanical experience, and that's OK. But know you are ripe for mistreatment by the variety of mechanic who mistreats, misleads, and lies to owners to take advantage of them. Be on your guard because the unknowledgeable & unscrupulous are unfortunately common. Come back here for more advice, and always leave as much detail about your situation when asking. Garbage in, garbage out.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information