+ Reply to Thread
    gc

Yes | No

Planning a CCV replacement...

Although I have read that it's possible to do without removing the intake, I am leaning toward removal. Either way, any helpful tips or suggested items for replacement would be appreciated. Looking at using the kit from Bav. which includes the associated hoses. (Obviously I'll replace the I.M. gasket also...)
    2000 528 with 140k miles.
    Thanks,
    Greg

gc

Yes | No

Shameless bump...

User Level 8
    Member No: 21320 edjack will become famous soon enough edjack's Avatar

Yes | No

Examine if it will be easier to replace the >>

oil filter housing gasket with the intake manifold off.
    Ed in San Jose. BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319). Golden Gate Chapter. '97 540i 6 speed. Build Date 3/97. Aspensilber over Aubergine leather.

Eurodavid

Yes | No

Re: Planning a CCV replacement...

Greg,

I don't know if your 2000 528i is different than my 1996-97 528i, but once I got the intake box out, and everything off up to the throttle body, I was able to reach in there and get the CCV out, without taking off the intake manifold. You know, those CCVs are super easy to clean out, if they are only junked up, I figured that out just by disconnecting the vanos line that runs to it, and then disconnecting the other side and running throttle body cleaner through it. No disconnection was necessary (but I did it anyway just because), and the black junk ran like crazy until pure, clean fluid came out.

Eurodavid

Registered Member
    Member No: 113300 mx5_10ae is an unknown quantity at this point mx5_10ae's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Planning a CCV replacement...

I replaced the CCV and all hoses on my '99 528i a few months ago. Keep in mind that the CCV replacement procedure is very different between the M52 and the M52TU motors (you have the latter). I didn't have to remove the intake but the space was very tight. Overall, it wasn't to hard to do but be prepared to replace other misc components along the way (such as vacuum tubes, fasteners, etc.) Google this text string "diy oil separtor, disa, icv" and you'll find an excellent write up.
    Good luck!

Registered Member
    Member No: 98187 stevek201 is an unknown quantity at this point stevek201's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Shameless bump...

Just did mine on 2003 530 I did not take the intake off but most of the drivers side of the engine, good photo article at bavarian auto blog here is the site: http://blog.bavauto.com/bmw-e46/bmw-m54-6-cylinder-crankcase-ventilation-pcv-diy-325i-328i-330i-525i-530i might help. Took me about 10 hrs to do. I will watch the form if you have questions

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information