+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oil Change

Hybrid View

J Micineo

Yes | No

Oil Change

Was told by the BMW dealer shop that my oil should be changed by them? And not another lube shop? Said they will not use the correct filters. I am new here and not a mechanic or knowledgeable BMW person. I am just a new female BMW owner of a 2002 325i. Thanks for your help.

Registered Member
    Member No: 93023 Stinger9 is on a distinguished road Stinger9's Avatar

Yes | No

Welcome! And feel free to search the board for

whatever you feel might be oft discussed topics. These go back many years.
    BMW dealers might say much to buffalo you into subjecting yourself into using their high priced services only. This one is easy enough to circumvent. Ask your independent service to tell you what brand filter they use and ask to see the box it came in. It is true that originally BMW filters tended to disintegrate when pushed to their recommended 15K miles oil changes. Most here shudder at the thought of letting their oil go unchanged for that long. Change you oil at least every 7500 miles if you believe us!
    Mann or Fram filters are among those that are the acceptable brand names. Can't think of the other names now.
    BMW also specs a higher standard synthetic oil than most indy's will use too. But again if you follow more frequent changes than the above mentioned 15K mile changes, you'll do OK with their synthetic oil.
    Answer all your questions?

Now just tell me you have a manual trans in your car and I'll be super impressed!

Registered Member
    Member No: 19448 dembooks is an unknown quantity at this point dembooks's Avatar

Yes | No

all oil changes not equal

your motor requirements = BMW Synthetic(made by Castrol) 5w/30 oil

or Mobil 1 synthetic 0w/40 oil

with the correct synthetic long life filtering material (buy at BMW)
    which will not breakdown during long mile/time oil change intervals

change oil and filter every 6-months or every 5,000 miles max

in colder climates sludge and carbon clog the crankcase
    vent valve system causing serious motor damage!

carbon also causes failure of your motors VANOS valve timing
    units - so keeping the inside of the motor CLEAN is important

a BMW Dealer is going to replace the important oil drain plug
    o-ring every time and not over tighten the plug.
    Failure to replace the drain plug o-ring will result in damaged
    striped threads in the oil pan. Don't ask how expensive that
    error is to correct!

if your car has an Automatic Transmission?,
    and has greater than 30,000 miles? - have a BMW dealer
    replace the special Auto Trans oil and filter for
    long term reliability.

Have the brake fluid fluded every year

have the rear diff oil changed today, and
    the front diff with transfer case oils changed if it's
    a 325xi (all wheel drive) model

have the gas filter replaced today

happy motoring

User Level 8
    Member No: 59049 hoscarnag has a little shameless behaviour in the past hoscarnag's Avatar

Yes | No

I think those oil filters were improved and the

OEM BMW filters are fine for long term service...not that I recommend the long interval.
    Photobucket

Registered Member
    Member No: 93023 Stinger9 is on a distinguished road Stinger9's Avatar

Yes | No

Completely agree, the problem was resolved a long

while ago. That's why I used the word "originally".

dan03833

Yes | No

Re: I think those oil filters were improved and the

The nearest BMW dealer to me gets $120 for an oil change. I buy all the materials from them and can do the change for $60. Whatever you deicide to use for oil, buy the BMW oil from the dealership, it's what they guarentee for themselves for the 15k mile interval. Don't go that long, go about 7500 miles between changes. BMW oil is basically European Spec Castrol 5w30. If you use another brand use the Castrol. The 330 engine takes 8 quarts. The dealership also uses MANN filters, if you buy the filter from the dealership, it comes with a new o-ring and crush washer for the drainplug.

Registered Member
    Member No: 69301 oc330cic is an unknown quantity at this point oc330cic's Avatar

Yes | No

Make that 6.9 quarts

My 2002 330 takes 6.9 quarts of oil.

Registered Member
    Member No: 19448 dembooks is an unknown quantity at this point dembooks's Avatar

Yes | No

7qts. non-X . . . 8qts. with X drive models

the engine oil pan has larger capacity
    on all wheel drive models

jayb

Yes | No

Re: Oil Change

Do change your oil at most every 5K miles. Use a quality filter such as Mann, Bosch, Mahle, Knecht. Most gas stations us the cheapest filter, and you do not want that. Need to use the proper oil, which is usually Mobil 1 0-40.
    Since most gas stations will not do that--using anyone but a BMW/foreign private repair shop is the way to go. You can also buy the filter and oil and only have the shop do the work. Oil goes for about $8.50 a quart from a parts store and you will probably need 7. The filter is about $10. NEVER, NEVER go to one of these quick lube places. You are going to have a youngster with little experience and/or the worse laborer work on the car and can cause major damage--(my personal experience. ALSO, you can buy, as I did, a dozen washers from the BMW dealer for the oil drain plug and give it to the shop you have do the work. (cost of a plug washer is 5 cents at the dealer.) Most likely they may not have one and to reuse the old one is not good. BE AWARE--that many local shops (not dealers) look to build up the job and use the oil change as an opportunity to take advantage of customers--especially women.
    PS--ignore the guy below who posted that he is impressed with women who have manual trans--my daughter at 17 was driving one and the guys were wondering how SHE could do that when they could not. As you know, if you take an interest you will maintain the car perfectly. In case you did not hear me--NEVER use a quick lube place like Jiffy Lube. I can tell your horror stories about that and the grease money in the pit who does not give a damm about his work or the car. (Remember that if he strips the drain threads--big dollars you will pay and they will deny everthing. OR, as was almost my case---did not tighted filter properly and it leaked badly--I caught it before needing a $8K new engine in that car (not BMW))

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information