+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered Member
    Member No: 153024 Mogy is an unknown quantity at this point Mogy's Avatar

Yes | No

Drivers inside door handle cable problem

I've searched and read everything I could find about the inside door latch opener. I've recently replaced the inside handle for the second time and I've made sure the cable was properly inserted into the slot in the handle mechanism. If the cable isn't inserted properly, the handle has slack and it will not open the door. In my case, the cable is inserted properly, there is very little slack. When I pull the handle there is normal resistance and I can feel the cable pull, but it doesn't open every time, and I have to pull it a couple time and wiggle the door. It seems like the cable has been slightly stretched. Perhaps the sheath has deteriorated? Has anyone come across this kind of problem? Any ideas? I have not taken the door panel off yet. Mogy
    528i 1999

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Drivers inside door handle cable problem

By the way, when I roll down the window and open the car from the outside handle, it works just fine.

Registered Member
    Member No: 147626 94583 is an unknown quantity at this point 94583's Avatar

Yes | No

you will need to replace the cable and most likely the door lock latch. If you look at the other end of the cable (the latch side) you'll most likely see that the latch housing is cracked. If you dont see a crack then you should be good with just replacing the cable. You can not see with your naked eye that the cable has stretched enough to cause lack of travel to open the door, and when you roll your window down it could be that the slack from the cable is taken up from the window.

Registered Member
    Member No: 147626 94583 is an unknown quantity at this point 94583's Avatar

Yes | No

yes, you will need to take a closer look at the opposite end where the cable goes in.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Much appreciated! I was hoping for an easier fix, but figured it was more involved, so thanks for the confirmation.Mogy
    528i 1999

Registered Member

Yes | No

Any photos or how-to steps anywhere

Does anyone know where I can find photos or how-to steps on replacing handle cable and latch housing? Ordering and part numbers? Mogy
    528i 1999

Inner Circle Member Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 67284
    Inner Circle ©41 since: Mar 20, 2013 Viv is on a distinguished road Viv's Avatar

Yes | No

Look here for part numbers

Realoem website

Viv
    Northern California
    2003 530i Steel Blue Metallic /Gray leather
    AT/PP/SP/CWP/Xenon/Folding Rear Seats/Ultimate Cup Holders/Stongard Headlamp Covers/Stealth rear signal bulbs/50% tint/Saab trunk lid handle/PS2s/Aux. adapter/BMWCCA Member/With a Pink Panther on the mirror/E34('91 525i) retired

Registered Member
    Member No: 168887 fritracer is on a distinguished road fritracer's Avatar

Yes | No

I replaced 4 inside handles on my 98 528i...

I finally replaced the cable and it cured the problem. I was also able to find a metal inside handle on ebay, not the plastic crap you get at a dealer.Fritracer
    Cincinnati, OH
    2000 540ia Sport Package 9/99 Silver/Black
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 420 stroker w/6 Pak 430 HP,
    510 lbft torque

Registered Member

Yes | No

Get a Bentley manual for the instructions.

Fritracer
    Cincinnati, OH
    510 lbft torque

BigRickMc50

Yes | No

Re: I replaced 4 inside handles on my 98 528i...

Have you got a link for that site? I'd like to get rid of those plastic handles too.

Registered Member

Yes | No

I'm sorry, I do not. had a computer crash

after that and lost a lot of stuff; got to love kids.Fritracer
    Cincinnati, OH
    510 lbft torque

BigRickMc50

Yes | No

Re: I'm sorry, I do not. had a computer crash

Okay, no prob. Better that the kids crash the computer and not the T/A.

Any takers on the Challenger yet? There was a show on last night about the construction of the new Challenger, and they parked an original next to a new car, and really showed how much taller the new car is. Kind of a disappointment, but it still looks better than the "new" Charger.

Registered Member

Yes | No

No takers yet. I am going to relist ...

in the Spring and f it doesn't sell then, I will take it to the Mopar Nationals in August; it will definitely sell there. New Challengers look and drive good; just to big and heavy to throw around like you should be able to; they need a serious diet. Ford got the combination down right with the new Mustang, light weight, high horsepower ( great power to weight ratio), great handling. The Camaro is ugly, cramped and heavy. Chevy missed the mark all the way.Fritracer
    Cincinnati, OH
    510 lbft torque

Registered Member
    Member No: 167448 treygriffith is an unknown quantity at this point treygriffith's Avatar

Yes | No
    Did you figure out the door latch problem? I'm going through the same thing. The original outside handle assembly had a crack in the inside aluminum housing frame, so I replaced it. There is still to much travel in the bowden cable to unlatch door mechanism. Me thinks the door latch(latches door to striker) is worn out. Your thoughts
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 166.128.6.31

Inner Circle ©41 since: Mar 20, 2013 Viv is on a distinguished road Viv's Avatar

Yes | No
    I had the same problem (too much slack in the cable), IIRC, my friend zip-tied the cable to a spot inside the door which took up the slack. Now when I pull the handle the door will unlock & open.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 136.235.244.56

Registered Member
    Member No: 104565 Zardoz2025 is on a distinguished road Zardoz2025's Avatar

Yes | No
    IIRC, there are grommets at the ends of all cables in the latch system. If any of these grommets are out of their correct position or slot, you'll get slack iin the cable. You may need to remove the inner door panel and re-check the grommet positions. The one at the inside door handle is easily checked, but the ones at the door latch assembly inside the door (big metal cased thing), and at the outer door handle connection also need to be positioned correctly.
    Ed CT
    1998 528i (aka, best car I ever owned!)
    5-Speed
    Aspen Silver
    Aubergine Leather
    Zeckhausen CDV
    Nokia CK-7
    D-Con Cache on Fuel Pump Cover
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 75.150.83.185

Yes | No
    I also had that problem! But even with that fixed, there was too much slack in the cable.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 136.235.244.56

Registered Member
    Member No: 104565 Zardoz2025 is on a distinguished road Zardoz2025's Avatar

Yes | No
    Hi, Viv,

Yes, he said that he replaced the outside handle unit, and the problem seemed to start at that point. So, I'm thinking that it's a re-assembly issue. Although, I'm sure that these parts do indeed wear out to the point that they need replacing or 'stretching' as you did with the tie-wrap. In any case, better to check the assembly for correctness before throwing money or fixes to it.
    Ed CT
    1998 528i (aka, best car I ever owned!)
    5-Speed
    Aspen Silver
    Aubergine Leather
    Zeckhausen CDV
    Nokia CK-7
    D-Con Cache on Fuel Pump Cover
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 75.150.83.185

Registered Member
    Member No: 167448 treygriffith is an unknown quantity at this point treygriffith's Avatar

Yes | No

door latch problems E39 528i

This is simply a mechanical latch wear problem. At 140K mine has seen plenty of opening and closing. The outside door tumbler assembly aluminum frame (mounted inside) are prone to cracks in the housing. When they crack they travel with any movement of the outer door handle and this causes excessive outer handle travel before the Bowden cable is pulled taught. This ss cable activates the door latch from both inner and outer handles. When you zip tie slack out of the cable, this preloads you handle action, although removing the door panel again is in you near future as the stainless Bowden cable will saw through that nylon zip tie in short order. The metal on metal wear in the latch itself simply wears down the cam in the latch. If you put in a new Bowden cable and assemble the outer door handle properly and still move either int/ext handle more than a half inch without engaging initial latch contact you'll have a bigger task ahead or make it someone elses problem.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 32.176.220.171

Registered Member

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by treygriffith View Post
    This is simply a mechanical latch wear problem. At 140K mine has seen plenty of opening and closing. The outside door tumbler assembly aluminum frame (mounted inside) are prone to cracks in the housing. When they crack they travel with any movement of the outer door handle and this causes excessive outer handle travel before the Bowden cable is pulled taught. This ss cable activates the door latch from both inner and outer handles. When you zip tie slack out of the cable, this preloads you handle action, although removing the door panel again is in you near future as the stainless Bowden cable will saw through that nylon zip tie in short order. The metal on metal wear in the latch itself simply wears down the cam in the latch. If you put in a new Bowden cable and assemble the outer door handle properly and still move either int/ext handle more than a half inch without engaging initial latch contact you'll have a bigger task ahead or make it someone elses problem.
    I might add this accounts for why interior handles are flying off the shelves. When there is excessive travel the plastic interior handles are pulled beyond their fulcrum of strength and snap.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 32.176.220.171

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information